How easy is it to get doc review work?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Trifles

How easy is it to get doc review work?

Postby Trifles » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:10 pm

I'm applying to law schools soon, and I am wondering if anyone has any useful advice about getting into doc review. I don't really want to work an 80 hour work week, and doc review sounds like a pretty sweet gig. My friend who does it describes it as basically just clicking boxes and you don't have to have a set schedule. I used to do Mechanical Turk for money, and this sort of sounds like the same thing but for attorneys. In this economy, is it going to be hard to get this type of work if the economy hasn't improved by the time I graduate, because of competition with people between firm jobs?

underdawg

Re: How easy is it to get doc review work?

Postby underdawg » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:14 pm

yes, firms will make first cuts with staff attorneys (doc reviewers) + paralegals before associates. guess who gets more doc review then?

also, while you might find such a job relaxing, better to suck it up and be an associate if you can, where you will get PLENTY of doc review experience, and also won't have a black mark on your resume forever. how are you going to explain that if you ever want another job? "I wanted a job where I could just kind of zone out..."?

no one even weeps for laid off staff attorneys. worst job ever ITE

p.s. for the kind of job you're describing, i would suggest looking into IT type jobs. pretty sure there are better "slacker" jobs out there considering the cost of school, etc. plus you can always fluff up a slacker IT job later to sound impressive enough. not sure if every non-legal employer knows what doc reviewers DO, but i don't think any legal employer will be impressed

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:01 pm

Also, a lot of doc review gigs these days require doc review or associate experience, and the pay is going down dramatically. It used to be that you could make an awfully good living on doc review, if it wouldn't drive you crazy in the process. Not so much anymore, and the doc review "market" won't recover until all of the laid off staff attorneys/associates are re-integrated in to the system.

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:04 pm

There is a lot of testimony that doc review, even in major cities, has dropped below $30 for a lot of gigs. While it seems like you would want to get into it for good reasons, I don't think it is going to work out for you even 3 years down the road.

For that pay, there's gotta be a lot of better no-stress jobs w/o having to endure law school.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:10 pm

Also, :?: in re: wanting to go to law school to qualify yourself for what amounts to washing dishes, except that it burns considerably fewer calories and your fellow doc reviewers are more likely to be really annoying, bitter people.

Return to “Legal Employment”