DOJ Background Check for Summer Internship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 301366
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

DOJ Background Check for Summer Internship

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:27 pm

Here's my scenario: I'm applying to the DOJ for a 1L summer internship. I probably want to work in a regional office (e.g.: not DC). I've heard the DOJ background check will probably ask about illegal drug use in the past year. I used marijuana twice early last spring, when I was a senior in college. I'll probably have to indicate this on my security clearance form (if I get that far in the application process), unless I get really lucky and don't have to submit the security clearance form until mid-to-late spring. Of course I'll be completely honest; if I have to disclose, I will.

I'm wondering how the disclosure will effect my chances for a 1L summer internship at the DOJ. Does anyone know? Auto ding? Still a chance? Not at all, since it was only twice and was still in college?

If I apply to the DOJ, disclose, and get dinged, do you think this will bar me from working for the DOJ at some time in the future? Might I end up on some sort of permanent federal blacklist barring me from future federal employment?

How do you think my history will effect my chances at other federal agencies, such as the FTC or the EPA? How bout with federal or state judges, for judicial internships?

If it helps, here's my full history:
-Smoked weed twice last spring (it was spring of my senior year in college...).
-The only other time I've EVER done drugs was when I was 14 or 15 (freshman in high school), when I also smoked weed twice.

Sorry for the long post... as you may have guessed, I'm both pissed off at myself and nervous.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301366
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Background Check for Summer Internship

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:42 pm

I can tell you that I used to work for the U.S. Attorneys and had to fill this information out. To be safe, I put that I had never used drugs, without realizing that the next step in the process was that they bring out an investigator to personally interview you, some friends, former employers, parents, etc. before giving the OK for employment.

In the interview with this investigator, I admitted to having smoke marijuana before in my life -- which was contrary to what I had put down in the paperwork. I said that I had done it just to not raise any red flags, not wanting to cause any trouble since my drug use was a LONG time ago and VERY limited.

Long story short, the investigator didn't seem to care that much. In fact, I think she said that if I had continued to lie about it and then some info about drug use come out later on, that would be MORE of an issue (integrity/trust problems). I'm sure they see people who have EVER used drugs in their life all the time and it's not a HUGE concern (unless you want to work for the DEA or something).

So I would advise that you be entirely truthful, because the truth will probably come out someway somehow later on anyway.

Hope this helps.

User avatar
DavidYurman85
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:55 am

Re: DOJ Background Check for Summer Internship

Postby DavidYurman85 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:35 pm

My cousin admitted (on her background check for the White House) to using other "recreational" drugs. She was freaking out, but it was later confirmed-as another person noted-they really just want you to tell the truth. She ended up getting hired- you should be fine.

edit: --LinkRemoved--
Last edited by DavidYurman85 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PublicInterest
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:58 pm

Re: DOJ Background Check for Summer Internship

Postby PublicInterest » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:25 pm

My understanding from my summer at DOJ is that drug use in the past year or anytime after being admitted to the bar = possible ding. lying out it almost certainly will ding you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301366
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Background Check for Summer Internship

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:02 pm

I'm looking at the forms I understand the DOJ uses to do background checks for summer interns and came across the below question. Does buying weed from a Colorado dispensary count as a yes to this?

"In the last 7 years, have you been involved in the illegal purchase, manufacture, trafficking, production, transfer, shipping, receiving, or sale of any narcotic, depressant, stimulant, hallucinogen, or cannabis, for your own intended profit or that of another?"

Anonymous User
Posts: 301366
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Background Check for Summer Internship

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I'll probably have to indicate this on my security clearance form (if I get that far in the application process), unless I get really lucky and don't have to submit the security clearance form until mid-to-late spring. Of course I'll be completely honest; if I have to disclose, I will.


Know of someone who had offer pulled b/c of recent cocaine use, but also know of a couple people who disclosed other drug-related incidents and were fine. In any event, people don't submit clearance forms (or at least I didn't) until April.

Edit: my offer was in September, if that makes any difference.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301366
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Background Check for Summer Internship

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I'll probably have to indicate this on my security clearance form (if I get that far in the application process), unless I get really lucky and don't have to submit the security clearance form until mid-to-late spring. Of course I'll be completely honest; if I have to disclose, I will.


Know of someone who had offer pulled b/c of recent cocaine use, but also know of a couple people who disclosed other drug-related incidents and were fine. In any event, people don't submit clearance forms (or at least I didn't) until April.

Edit: my offer was in September, if that makes any difference.


I don't mean to come off as trying to be unethical or game the system, but I am just genuinely curious. How did the DOJ find out he had recently used cocaine? This doesn't sound like a situation where he failed his piss test, so I am just curious how the DOJ would find out.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 28438
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: DOJ Background Check for Summer Internship

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:40 pm

Maybe they actually followed the directions and answered all the questions truthfully and disclosed.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301366
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Background Check for Summer Internship

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm looking at the forms I understand the DOJ uses to do background checks for summer interns and came across the below question. Does buying weed from a Colorado dispensary count as a yes to this?

"In the last 7 years, have you been involved in the illegal purchase, manufacture, trafficking, production, transfer, shipping, receiving, or sale of any narcotic, depressant, stimulant, hallucinogen, or cannabis, for your own intended profit or that of another?"



Anybody have an opinion on this?

Anonymous User
Posts: 301366
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Background Check for Summer Internship

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:45 am

I have a question related to this.

I would like to pursue a 1L summer internship at the Court of International Trade, if possible. Do they require the SF 85 form for unpaid 1L interns? Also concerned about the drug use in past year question. Don't want to get an internship and then lose it in the spring due to this.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.