Firms without billable hours?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tengorazon

Re: Firms without billable hours?

Postby tengorazon » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 pm

CE2JD wrote:
Renzo wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
tengorazon wrote:There are some firms that don't have minimum billables (e.g., W&C), but everyone bills.

There is still a minimum, dude.

Yeah, they just don't tell you what it is until you're below it and they're showing you the door.

Do they even hire people at W&C who wouldn't naturally, and without any coercion or encouragement, work at least 1800 hours?

I find such a proposition highly unlikely.

As do I. Moreover, why would you interview there if you weren't willing to work 2300 hours a year? Their hours are well known. ::looks at TTT-LS::

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:54 pm

TTT-LS wrote:You calling me a liar? Or just making fun of me? I'm fine with the latter, but not so much the former.

Does Wachtell really require that many hours over, say, a Cravath, or a Kirkland? 2300 billables vs 2200 or 2100, I recognize the difference, but the pay is almost twice as much, and partnership chances at Wachtell are higher than other V10s, yeah?

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:24 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:53 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
TTT-LS wrote:You calling me a liar? Or just making fun of me? I'm fine with the latter, but not so much the former.

Does Wachtell really require that many hours over, say, a Cravath, or a Kirkland? 2300 billables vs 2200 or 2100, I recognize the difference, but the pay is almost twice as much, and partnership chances at Wachtell are higher than other V10s, yeah?

try 2700+ (at least that's what the author of ATL, who claims to be from wlrk says)

might be worth it in $/hr, but at some point, hours become crushing. i have heard nothing but great things about wlrk besides the hours.

anyway, i bet like 2 people on those board end up even getting a shot there anyway, so it's pretty m00t

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:54 pm

CE2JD wrote:
Renzo wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
tengorazon wrote:There are some firms that don't have minimum billables (e.g., W&C), but everyone bills.

There is still a minimum, dude.

Yeah, they just don't tell you what it is until you're below it and they're showing you the door.

Do they even hire people at W&C who wouldn't naturally, and without any coercion or encouragement, work at least 1800 hours?

I find such a proposition highly unlikely.

pretty sure any biglaw firm that promises ~1800 hours is flat out lying

maybe in recessions...in corporate....

at least in NYC :(

tengorazon

Postby tengorazon » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:56 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
tengorazon wrote:As do I. Moreover, why would you interview there if you weren't willing to work 2300 hours a year? Their hours are well known. ::looks at TTT-LS::

I actually didn't know about this reputation when I interviewed. I had heard great things about the summer program and about a few of their specific litigation practices, but that was really it. When I went for the callback, the attorneys I met seemed extremely bright, professional, and personable. Regardless, when a firm of the caliber of W&C invites you, my view is that you should go. That doesn't mean you are obliged to accept if they offer, but why not take a look under the hood to see whether it might be a good fit?

I suppose that's reasonable. I did something similar at WLRK. That said, I have friends at both places who love it.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:02 am

tell us if you got an offer there though

also why would you ask TTT why when you did the same exact thing?

canceled02062010

Postby canceled02062010 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:02 am

not sure if someone has said this, or if you are only asking about BIGLAW/DEFENSE, but plaintiff's firms are % of recoveries.

I think most are in the 33% range with a sliding scale downward if recoveries are less.

YOU EAT WHAT YOU KILL d00d.

HTH.

For the Post below mine:

i don't understand are you asking (me?) if it is normal at plaintiff's firms for more than one attorney to work on a case? Depends on the case, (slip and fall or wrongful death), the expected value (millions or a few hundred k), and the fight from the defendants and how many for that matter. Anyway profits are split, depending on who brings in the case, the largest chunk of the % will be split between the attorney who brought it in and the partners, then the rest of the firm. Profit sharing is complicated.

V
Last edited by canceled02062010 on Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:05 am

damn so each case must be worked on by like 2 attorneys?

tengorazon

Postby tengorazon » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:28 am

underdawg wrote:tell us if you got an offer there though

also why would you ask TTT why when you did the same exact thing?

Because my reason for not going had nothing to do with the hours, which he gave as his reason for not going to W&C.

Return to “Legal Employment”