what happens if you flee the country to avoid debt Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

what happens if you flee the country to avoid debt

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:32 pm

I'm not having any luck finding a job. I know people have joked on here about fleeing to Jamaica to sell surfboards, etc, but what actually happens when you leave? How does your debt affect you in your new country? Will foreign employers know? How likely is debtor's prison? Any other insights?

lewis louis

Bronze

Re: what happens if you flee the country to avoid debt

Post by lewis louis » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:35 pm

I didn't know Roman Polanski posted on TLS! Really though? Of course that credit will follow you. They have internet and phones in Jamaica too. Debtor's prison? well if you go to a country with no extradition with USA, you should be fine, but they better not catch that ass going to countries that do to accept lifetime acheivement awards.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:40 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:44 pm

OP, you are abusing the anonymous feature. Stop, or you are getting the boot.

biggamejames

Bronze

Post by biggamejames » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:48 pm

lewis louis wrote:I didn't know Roman Polanski posted on TLS! Really though? Of course that credit will follow you. They have internet and phones in Jamaica too. Debtor's prison? well if you go to a country with no extradition with USA, you should be fine, but they better not catch that ass going to countries that do to accept lifetime acheivement awards.
Extradition? Dude, you can't be extradited for debt - it's not a crime, and no one will put you in jail for it. Extradition is irrelevant here.

As fair as the bad credit following you, it depends on the country. You need to do your own research on this one, but there are many countries that have credit systems that do not communicate with the wider international system, and many countries that do not have credit systems at all.

The main danger of leaving the U.S. to escape your debt is the risk that your creditors will try to sue you in country to recover their debt. For this reason, you've got to either 1) make sure your creditors do not know where you are, or 2) make sure your the country in which you live is unlikely to recognize your creditors' claims. Again, this is an issue that calls for your own research.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

biggamejames

Bronze

Post by biggamejames » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:49 pm

PKSebben wrote:OP, you are abusing the anonymous feature. Stop, or you are getting the boot.
That's right, OP. Now:

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:53 pm

Not going to lie, I'm seriously considering creating a new account: Thulsa Doom -- his only posts will be that picture after I ban people.

biggamejames

Bronze

Post by biggamejames » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:00 pm

PKSebben wrote:Not going to lie, I'm seriously considering creating a new account: Thulsa Doom -- his only posts will be that picture after I ban people.
Please do it. I like the idea of PK having a sorcerous alter-ego.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:10 pm

I should not condone this, however.

File for bankruptcy. Leave the country. Come back in eight years.

You can do this, and I have a friend or two waitressing in Brazil for the next five or six years to dodge college debt. But keep in mind, you can't come back, not for eight years after your bankruptcy or you'll have NO credit.

I do not advise this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

biggamejames

Bronze

Post by biggamejames » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I should not condone this, however.

File for bankruptcy. Leave the country. Come back in eight years.

You can do this, and I have a friend or two waitressing in Brazil for the next five or six years to dodge college debt. But keep in mind, you can't come back, not for eight years after your bankruptcy or you'll have NO credit.

I do not advise this.
Student loan debt follows you through bankruptcy in most cases.

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:59 pm

PKSebben wrote:OP, you are abusing the anonymous feature. Stop, or you are getting the boot.
:roll:

If "I'm considering fleeing the country to escape my education debt" isn't something that is deserving of a little discretion, then what is?

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:04 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:
:roll:

If "I'm considering fleeing the country to escape my education debt" isn't something that is deserving of a little discretion, then what is?
That's what your moniker is for. Like what you did.

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:22 pm

well couldn't you use a credit card to pay your debts? that way they are cleared, and then file bankruptcy?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:25 pm

avacado111 wrote:well couldn't you use a credit card to pay your debts? that way they are cleared, and then file bankruptcy?
Sign me up for one of these $100,000 credit limit cards for the indebted and unemployed!!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:30 pm

avacado111 wrote:well couldn't you use a credit card to pay your debts? that way they are cleared, and then file bankruptcy?
If your debts were low enough to pay off with even four or five credit cards, that wouldn't merit leaving the country.

If the credit card company is losing real money and what you did was blatant, you'll get adversary proceeding pwned, be bankrupt, and still owe the credit card company the money.

JD'izzle

New

Post by JD'izzle » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:23 pm

Growing up, we had this family friend who maxed out all his credit cards, took out a second mortgage, and then fled to France back to the village he was born in. The American companies can't really do anything to my knowledge, although they did seize all his assets that he left in the US

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:33 pm

wtf it is these kinds of threads that make me actively reconsider law school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:35 pm

biggamejames wrote:
That's right, OP. Now:
I feel this picture is getting a lot of use from you lately... its Thanksgiving! Shouldn't be thinking about woe! :)

Vendetta

New

Post by Vendetta » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:46 pm

JD'izzle wrote:Growing up, we had this family friend who maxed out all his credit cards, took out a second mortgage, and then fled to France back to the village he was born in. The American companies can't really do anything to my knowledge, although they did seize all his assets that he left in the US
Nowadays, France probably won't cut it, and neither will Jamaica. They'll find you there if they really want to. I wouldn't go to any country with strong ties to the US. China would probably never notice you among their billions. Or you could try an obscure state like Bahrain or Qatar, if you can get a Visa.

biggamejames

Bronze

Post by biggamejames » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:57 pm

Georgiana wrote:
biggamejames wrote:
That's right, OP. Now:
I feel this picture is getting a lot of use from you lately... its Thanksgiving! Shouldn't be thinking about woe! :)
Hahah. It's because I watched Conan yesterday.

You going to the 2L thanksgiving thing in CC at 7?

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:11 pm

biggamejames wrote:
Georgiana wrote:
biggamejames wrote:
That's right, OP. Now:
Hahah. It's because I watched Conan yesterday.

You going to the 2L thanksgiving thing in CC at 7?
No I will *hopefully* be working on my outline :-/

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not having any luck finding a job. I know people have joked on here about fleeing to Jamaica to sell surfboards, etc, but what actually happens when you leave? How does your debt affect you in your new country? Will foreign employers know? How likely is debtor's prison? Any other insights?
One of my neighbors actually did this. You should convert to Judaism, flee to Israel, and volunteer for the army. They don't turn in their own. Things seem to be working out okay for him.

linquest

Bronze

Post by linquest » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:05 am

Found these interesting articles:
Can you go to jail for not paying your debts?
--LinkRemoved--
Will debt follow you abroad?
--LinkRemoved--

lewis louis

Bronze

Post by lewis louis » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:24 am

biggamejames wrote:
lewis louis wrote:I didn't know Roman Polanski posted on TLS! Really though? Of course that credit will follow you. They have internet and phones in Jamaica too. Debtor's prison? well if you go to a country with no extradition with USA, you should be fine, but they better not catch that ass going to countries that do to accept lifetime acheivement awards.
Extradition? Dude, you can't be extradited for debt - it's not a crime, and no one will put you in jail for it. Extradition is irrelevant here.

As fair as the bad credit following you, it depends on the country. You need to do your own research on this one, but there are many countries that have credit systems that do not communicate with the wider international system, and many countries that do not have credit systems at all.

The main danger of leaving the U.S. to escape your debt is the risk that your creditors will try to sue you in country to recover their debt. For this reason, you've got to either 1) make sure your creditors do not know where you are, or 2) make sure your the country in which you live is unlikely to recognize your creditors' claims. Again, this is an issue that calls for your own research.
I think you misinterpreted me for someone who was taking this OP-joker seriously. I was using this thread as a launch pad for polanski jokes. Of course extradition doesn't come into play...unless there was rape or forgery involved. EIther way you need to relax and stop giving this guy ACTUAL advice.

PLATONiC

Bronze

Post by PLATONiC » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:01 am

Go to North Korea.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”