is situation really this bad?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jsix

Re: is situation really this bad?

Postby jsix » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:48 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:I don't understand why people want to become lawyers just to make money.

For such a high scoring group of individuals, TLS is fucking retarded.

Obviously money is a factor for the vast majority of law students. Who takes on 150k+ in debt and pretends that money isn't an issue because "I just love the law."

Get back to me in a year and half when you're median at your t10 and don't have an offer. But hey, it's cool, at least you didn't come for the money.

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:06 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:can't believe no one posted this yet.

"the dye is cast."

see also "their is a shortage."

that person is a moron. or not so subtle flame. but, in my mind, i'm going with the former.

nothing's rosy. but even in a good economy, things don't work out for imbeciles.

I counted at least three "their"s that should have been "there"s.

ChattelCat

Postby ChattelCat » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:10 pm

"the dye is cast."

that person is a moron. or not so subtle flame. but, in my mind, i'm going with the former.

nothing's rosy. but even in a good economy, things don't work out for imbeciles.

I was so tempted to point that out - glad someone else did. Knowing the difference between "there" and "their" is often helpful getting and keeping jobs in a profession where writing well is a necessary skill. Also, I can't think of any city where you would HAVE to pay $1500 in rent... I've lived in two of the most expensive cities in the U.S. and never paid more than $1000, usually less. Seems like a flame to me.

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:41 pm

ChattelCat wrote:

"the dye is cast."

I was so tempted to point that out - glad someone else did. Knowing the difference between "there" and "their" is often helpful getting and keeping jobs in a profession where writing well is a necessary skill. Also, I can't think of any city where you would HAVE to pay $1500 in rent... I've lived in two of the most expensive cities in the U.S. and never paid more than $1000, usually less. Seems like a flame to me.

i think "the dye is cast" is even better. I picture a Monty Python sketch where they're just throwing purple paint everywhere while crossing the river.

Notor

Postby Notor » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:27 am

jsix wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:I don't understand why people want to become lawyers just to make money.

For such a high scoring group of individuals, TLS is fucking retarded.

Obviously money is a factor for the vast majority of law students. Who takes on 150k+ in debt and pretends that money isn't an issue because "I just love the law."

Get back to me in a year and half when you're median at your t10 and don't have an offer. But hey, it's cool, at least you didn't come for the money.

This site is extremely frustrating sometimes... people don't understand the value of money or the effect that debt has on your personal financial situation. Going to a school like Fordham and paying sticker is absolutely moronic if you are financing the entire thing with loans. $200k with compounding interest and no absolute guarantee of a BigLaw job is totally silly. Even with biglaw, that amount of debt is staggering. The way things are going right now it is making more and more sense to take a full ride at a strong regional T2 like Cincy, at least you will be debt-free at graduation.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:54 am

Kohinoor wrote:175 LSAT is not 95th%. 165-166 is.

We're left wondering:
what happened to this person at OCI
whether he actually passed the bar (It sounds like the jobs he did get were admin work that don't require bar passage)

No, the 90th % is a 164... so a 95% is probably straddling the 170s range.

Genki

Postby Genki » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:13 am

fidesverita wrote:

We're left wondering:
whether he actually passed the bar (It sounds like the jobs he did get were admin work that don't require bar passage)

169 is 97% at least it was on the sept test.

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:31 am

fidesverita wrote:

We're left wondering:

OMFG. You are an idiot. the numbers are published, and the curve is fixed... you could just look them up, but I know a few of the numbers off the top of my head:

163-88%
164-90%
165-92%
170-98%
173-99%

e: there is actually a large statistical difference between a 165 and 170... it's not "just a few questions you got lucky on".

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:52 pm

I love it when people recommend being a dentist to make money.

Sure, it's a license to print money, but then you have to stare into people's mouths all day and scrap plaque off their teeth. I'd kill myself.

Rocky Estoppel

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:18 pm

crazycanuck wrote:I love it when people recommend being a dentist to make money.

Sure, it's a license to print money, but then you have to stare into people's mouths all day and scrap plaque off their teeth. I'd kill myself.

:lol:

I find this funny because a friend of mine just got into dental school. I could never do it either.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:50 pm

Scraping plaque is for dental hygienists.

amped

Postby amped » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:42 pm

nealric wrote:

This is the truth. Dentists only do the difficult stuff, and for routine check-ups they just glance at your teeth for like 30 seconds.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:49 pm

amped wrote:
nealric wrote:

This is the truth. Dentists only do the difficult stuff, and for routine check-ups they just glance at your teeth for like 30 seconds.

I can't imagine removing wisdom teeth would be any fun.

amped

Postby amped » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
amped wrote:
nealric wrote:

I can't imagine removing wisdom teeth would be any fun.

I've heard you get over the grossness. Plus, oral surgeons make bank$$$.

Not sure being a lawyer is that much better. Especially the first few years. Lots of doc review or other menial tasks.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:37 pm

crazycanuck wrote:I love it when people recommend being a dentist to make money.

Not sure if you knew this, but it's funnier if you didn't - the dental field has one of the highest suicide rates of any profession. :shock:

My girlfriend, the psych major, thinks that there has to be something mentally wrong with you to want to drill on people's teeth all day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:07 am

is being a derm really competitive?

gollymolly

Postby gollymolly » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:49 am

Last edited by gollymolly on Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:28 am

gollymolly wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:

Not sure if you knew this, but it's funnier if you didn't - the dental field has one of the highest suicide rates of any profession. :shock:

My girlfriend, the psych major, thinks that there has to be something mentally wrong with you to want to drill on people's teeth all day.

From what I've heard of that statistic, dentists were the number 1 profession for suicides until they were replaced ... by lawyers.

Your girlfriend should know that the highest rate of all is among Psychiatrists. Hence them being required to attend sessions.

Return to “Legal Employment”