anyone contemplated suicide as a result of the job crisis?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

have you?

yes, seriously
10
10%
yes, but not too seriously
7
7%
yes, just in passing
4
4%
no
8
8%
hell no
8
8%
wtf, are you serious?
66
64%
 
Total votes: 103

User avatar
lsat_fear
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:58 pm

Re: anyone contemplated suicide as a result of the job crisis?

Postby lsat_fear » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:12 am

if you move to a foreign country, can't the US sue you on the promissory note at home, get a default judgement against you b/c you didn't show up, and then sue all your shit in the foreign country quasi in rem?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: anyone contemplated suicide as a result of the job crisis?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:15 am

steakandeggs wrote:Unfortunately one of my sister's coworkers committed suicide after getting fired. He left behind a wife and kids. I hope everyone keeps things in perspective and please seek help if you are contemplating suicide.

luckily, most law students don't have dependents.

User avatar
greyarea
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 10:07 am

Re: anyone contemplated suicide as a result of the job crisis?

Postby greyarea » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:17 am

When the ride get's too bumpy it may seem like you're better off calling it quits. But how do you know death is any better? There is not one shred of reliable evidence that doesn't disprove that we will all be doing doc review for a Cooley grad in the next life.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: anyone contemplated suicide as a result of the job crisis?

Postby James Bond » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:17 am

greyarea wrote:When the ride get's too bumpy it may seem like you're better off calling it quits. But how do you know death is any better? There is not one shred of reliable evidence that doesn't disprove that we will all be doing doc review for a Cooley grad in the next life.


Or exist as the thing in your 'tar

User avatar
chromylchloride
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:34 pm

Re: anyone contemplated suicide as a result of the job crisis?

Postby chromylchloride » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:18 am

IDILL_E wrote:I find it hard to feel sorry for people who commit suicide, not trying to be a dick.

Things can never get that bad imo


It's hard to understand depression unless you've been there. Things can get that bad.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: anyone contemplated suicide as a result of the job crisis?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:20 am

greyarea wrote:When the ride get's too bumpy it may seem like you're better off calling it quits. But how do you know death is any better? There is not one shred of reliable evidence that doesn't disprove that we will all be doing doc review for a Cooley grad in the next life.

there isn't one shred of reliable evidence that there's a "next life" in which to do doc review for a Cooley grad. even assume for argument that that's the case, though, it's gonna happen either now or later. . .

Anonymous User
Posts: 273232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: anyone contemplated suicide as a result of the job crisis?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:24 am

rayiner wrote:Are you a fun guy


5 out of 5 exes say no.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: anyone contemplated suicide as a result of the job crisis?

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:24 am

ntzsch wrote:
greyarea wrote:When the ride get's too bumpy it may seem like you're better off calling it quits. But how do you know death is any better? There is not one shred of reliable evidence that doesn't disprove that we will all be doing doc review for a Cooley grad in the next life.



ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pith and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action


Hamlet - seriously good stuff

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: anyone contemplated suicide as a result of the job crisis?

Postby James Bond » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:24 am

How do you contemplate suicide "just in passing?"

:lol:

"Well...my torts test is today, need to pick up my clothes from the dry cleaners, might be killing myself if the economy doesn't shape up, and I need to go grocery shopping tonight for sure."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: anyone contemplated suicide as a result of the job crisis?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:26 am

biv0ns wrote:How do you contemplate suicide "just in passing?"

:lol:

"Well...my torts test is today, need to pick up my clothes from the dry cleaners, might be killing myself if the economy doesn't shape up, and I need to go grocery shopping tonight for sure."

kinda like that actually

Oblomov
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:16 am

Re: anyone contemplated suicide as a result of the job crisis?

Postby Oblomov » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:27 am

ntzsch wrote:
greyarea wrote:When the ride get's too bumpy it may seem like you're better off calling it quits. But how do you know death is any better? There is not one shred of reliable evidence that doesn't disprove that we will all be doing doc review for a Cooley grad in the next life.



ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pith and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action


Yeah, and that worked out pretty well for him.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: anyone contemplated suicide as a result of the job crisis?

Postby James Bond » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
biv0ns wrote:How do you contemplate suicide "just in passing?"

:lol:

"Well...my torts test is today, need to pick up my clothes from the dry cleaners, might be killing myself if the economy doesn't shape up, and I need to go grocery shopping tonight for sure."

kinda like that actually


You had to anonymously post that?

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: anyone contemplated suicide as a result of the job crisis?

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:28 am

Oblomov wrote:
ntzsch wrote:
greyarea wrote:When the ride get's too bumpy it may seem like you're better off calling it quits. But how do you know death is any better? There is not one shred of reliable evidence that doesn't disprove that we will all be doing doc review for a Cooley grad in the next life.



ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pith and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action


Yeah, and that worked out pretty well for him.


We will never know definitively.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: anyone contemplated suicide as a result of the job crisis?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:37 am

biv0ns wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
biv0ns wrote:How do you contemplate suicide "just in passing?"

:lol:

"Well...my torts test is today, need to pick up my clothes from the dry cleaners, might be killing myself if the economy doesn't shape up, and I need to go grocery shopping tonight for sure."

kinda like that actually


You had to anonymously post that?


oh sorry it wasn't clear from context--I'm OP, and I was saying that your description is actually kind of accurate.

Oblomov
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:16 am

Re: anyone contemplated suicide as a result of the job crisis?

Postby Oblomov » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:37 am

ntzsch wrote:I would I knew what you mean??


Died a pointless death from his failure to act and asked that others not be told of the indignity.

I guess you could say he answered the question.

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: anyone contemplated suicide as a result of the job crisis?

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
gollymolly wrote:talk to their school's counseling services first.

ha. have you ever actually done this? all they do is ask what you're "feeling," and then they repeat exactly what you said to them with sympathetic head tilt.


This is probably accurate, because I can vouch that this is exactly what they are taught to do. If it wasn't so concise, this could have come verbatim out of a social work or education textbook. Don't let anyone without a PhD touch your mind.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: anyone contemplated suicide as a result of the job crisis?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:59 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
gollymolly wrote:talk to their school's counseling services first.

ha. have you ever actually done this? all they do is ask what you're "feeling," and then they repeat exactly what you said to them with sympathetic head tilt.


This is probably accurate, because I can vouch that this is exactly what they are taught to do. If it wasn't so concise, this could have come verbatim out of a social work or education textbook. Don't let anyone without a PhD touch your mind.


why on earth would they be taught to do that? i thought they were just being incompetent. like i expected them to at least say something that i didn't say.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
logicianwannabe
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:20 pm

Re: anyone contemplated suicide as a result of the job crisis?

Postby logicianwannabe » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
gollymolly wrote:talk to their school's counseling services first.

ha. have you ever actually done this? all they do is ask what you're "feeling," and then they repeat exactly what you said to them with sympathetic head tilt.


This is probably accurate, because I can vouch that this is exactly what they are taught to do. If it wasn't so concise, this could have come verbatim out of a social work or education textbook. Don't let anyone without a PhD touch your mind.


why on earth would they be taught to do that? i thought they were just being incompetent. like i expected them to at least say something that i didn't say.


because if they're giving you advice, they're essentially playing a psychologist's role, but don't have the appropriate training or credentials. they might accidentally say something that seems harmless, but which a psychologist would know is likely to push a suicidal person over the edge. the less qualified a person is, the less they should talk.

User avatar
biggamejames
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:27 pm

Re: anyone contemplated suicide as a result of the job crisis?

Postby biggamejames » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:04 pm

lsat_fear wrote:if you move to a foreign country, can't the US sue you on the promissory note at home, get a default judgement against you b/c you didn't show up, and then sue all your shit in the foreign country quasi in rem?

They can't even try that if you don't tell them where you are.


donetoosoon
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:18 pm

Re: anyone contemplated suicide as a result of the job crisis?

Postby donetoosoon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:20 pm

Just got no offered, and I'm on my way out.

User avatar
Jack Smirks
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:35 am

Re: anyone contemplated suicide as a result of the job crisis?

Postby Jack Smirks » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got no offered, and I'm on my way out.

You're misusing the Anon feature. Just FYI.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: anyone contemplated suicide as a result of the job crisis?

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:27 pm

naterj wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got no offered, and I'm on my way out.

You're misusing the Anon feature. Just FYI.

You mean because when we read about the suicide in the paper we'll finally be able to out Anonymous User?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: anyone contemplated suicide as a result of the job crisis?

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:35 am

donetoosoon wrote:Just got no offered, and I'm on my way out.

I outed this user specifically to make clear it was a throwaway account someone made. I'm now locking the thread because 1) thread necromancy FTL and 2) this kind of trolling is not cool.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.