Anyone here with summer DOJ experience?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
motownsaint

Anyone here with summer DOJ experience?

Postby motownsaint » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:24 pm

Considering how competitive the path is leading up to just an entry-level job at the DOJ, how does one best "hedge his bets" against a possible no-admit to the Honors Program after SLIP? As competitive as the program is, I'm really worried that I'll end up going down this DOJ volunteer/SLIP path in the vain hope of getting into the Honors Program and end up at 3L with no immediate prospects to show for it.

If your grades are good and you've done SLIP are your options still pretty good with programs outside of the DOJ? Other government work does interest me. But what about firms? Too late to get back into either game?

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Anyone here with summer DOJ experience?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:39 pm

motownsaint wrote:Considering how competitive the path is leading up to just an entry-level job at the DOJ, how does one best "hedge his bets" against a possible no-admit to the Honors Program after SLIP? As competitive as the program is, I'm really worried that I'll end up going down this DOJ volunteer/SLIP path in the vain hope of getting into the Honors Program and end up at 3L with no immediate prospects to show for it.

If your grades are good and you've done SLIP are your options still pretty good with programs outside of the DOJ? Other government work does interest me. But what about firms? Too late to get back into either game?

Thanks.

The best thing to do is split between SLIP and a law firm. That way you get experience at DOJ but have a fallback. Regardless, a summer at DOJ sets you up for all kinds of gov't jobs.

Return to “Legal Employment”