Is the career outlook for a non t-14 lawyer really that bad?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RVP11

Re: Is the career outlook for a non t-14 lawyer really that bad?

Postby RVP11 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:13 am

rayiner wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:The real difference is DECEMBER 2, 2009 (pure speculation) versus March 9, 2010 (real numbers).

LOL, totally did not see that this thread was resurrected.

Yeah, neither did I.

My B, Spyke. My B.

burt

Postby burt » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:12 am

With PHDs and hard science graduate programs, I guess they're like apprenticeships, but MA's in political science, psyhology, etc don't seem to be. I'm assuming you didn't mean to inlude these programs, did you? I have friends in these programs and from what they've told me, it doesn't seem like an apprenticeship at all, more like an extension of UG soft science course work. Honestly, the programs they're in seem like a joke

I suppose that's true, but you are comparing on two variables simultaneously here: PhD vs. MA; and hard vs. social sciences. It's probably the case that MA's in the social sciences (to the extent that these actually exist) are soft extensions of UG, but PhD's are not. I am a PhD in political science, and I can tell you that the programs are rigorous: scientific research methods are stressed, and most graduates learn sophisticated statistical and math techniques, regardless of their research interests. Also, I've never even heard of a terminal Masters degree in political science. PhDs get these along the way, but no reputable university I know of admits students only as MA applicants.

Of course, I would agree with the underlying point that hard science PhDs can be marketable outside of academia. Good luck with that with a social science PhD.

Postby 270910 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:24 pm

JazzOne wrote:I'm sure lots of people would love to be in my position right now. Then again, I can be as bitter as I want since I'm the one who busted my ass to get good grades only to receive no employment offers. None. Zero. I'll be playing my sax and playing poker for a living this summer. Let's just say I'm a little disappointed with my employment prospects. The only thing I am thankful for at this point is that I'm not paying for this shit. And when I have to go to class with people who have lower grades than I do and terrific summer offers, I just don't even want to be here.

Wow. Way to be an entitled twat. 1L summer work has always been extremely hard to get, and far from completely meritocratic. Fun fact: Most 2L / clerkship work is. You have absolutely no grounds for feeling sorry for yourself.

I can't believe nobody has called this out yet.

rando

Postby rando » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:47 pm

disco_barred wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I'm sure lots of people would love to be in my position right now. Then again, I can be as bitter as I want since I'm the one who busted my ass to get good grades only to receive no employment offers. None. Zero. I'll be playing my sax and playing poker for a living this summer. Let's just say I'm a little disappointed with my employment prospects. The only thing I am thankful for at this point is that I'm not paying for this shit. And when I have to go to class with people who have lower grades than I do and terrific summer offers, I just don't even want to be here.

Wow. Way to be an entitled twat. 1L summer work has always been extremely hard to get, and far from completely meritocratic. Fun fact: Most 2L / clerkship work is. You have absolutely no grounds for feeling sorry for yourself.

It has been hashed out in another thread. Love "twat" reference though.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:07 am

disco_barred wrote:

I already owned up to having a crappy attitude about it in another thread. You know, last week I had a minor medical issue that didn't get resolved until this week. I had very little sleep owing to an early final exam and a memo, and then a slew of rejection letters tipped me over the brink. Those were stupid things for me to say, and the worst part is that I have received something like half a dozen PMs from people expressing sympathy and suggestions for me. I haven't even written back yet. Oh yeah, and I have a call back tomorrow. Now my karma is screwed. Thanks for the perspective. I'm going to take a TLS hiatus.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:31 am

uh ok

Return to “Legal Employment”