"Trying Cases" w/ Supervising Attorney after 2L Year

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sailorbear2008

"Trying Cases" w/ Supervising Attorney after 2L Year

Postby sailorbear2008 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:23 pm

Hey guys, I've been searching all over the Internet for a list of states that allow you to try cases (usually indigent defense/misdemeanors) after you have completed your 2L year.

I know some have restrictions in terms of supervision or certain class requisites, but if anyone has a link to a site that lists them or happens to know them I would appreciate it.

I am mainly interested to find out if Texas does, but other states would be helpful to know about.

I know Ohio, Florida, and Colorado do...any others are appreciated.

yabbadabbado

Re: "Trying Cases" w/ Supervising Attorney after 2L Year

Postby yabbadabbado » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:04 pm

Just because the state will let you do it, doesn't mean you will be able to. You'll have to find an internship or program that will allow you to do it. Some internships only work with clinics through certain schools. Some internships only take a couple interns for this sort of program and they're very selective. And if your school has a clinic, you'll have to apply to and be accepted by the clinic...you can't just enroll. Also, you'll have to be certified by the state bar which means you will have to take certain pre-req courses in law school. Finally, you will probably not get to do jury trials, you'll be doing bench trials in front of a judge most likely.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:16 pm

yabbadabbado wrote:Just because the state will let you do it, doesn't mean you will be able to. You'll have to find an internship or program that will allow you to do it. Some internships only work with clinics through certain schools. Some internships only take a couple interns for this sort of program and they're very selective. And if your school has a clinic, you'll have to apply to and be accepted by the clinic...you can't just enroll. Also, you'll have to be certified by the state bar which means you will have to take certain pre-req courses in law school. Finally, you will probably not get to do jury trials, you'll be doing bench trials in front of a judge most likely.

Depends on the school you attend and the clinic. Some schools have a lot of options. While not technically trying a case in front of a judge or jury, you can act as a representative/counsel in front of asylum officers in refugee cases as long as you're in school and have a supervising attorney. It's my understanding that there are housing clinics that are similar to this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:18 pm

hahaha if only this were legally blond.

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:37 pm

Washington (LinkRemoved)

NYU2011

Postby NYU2011 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 pm

California (you have to get certified, not sure if this is true everywhere)

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:11 pm

Michigan you can after your 1L year. I think that's true of CT as well but I'm not sure.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:12 pm

Why are any of these anonymous?

In PA you can do supervised practice once you're a 2nd semester 2L.

sailorbear2008

Postby sailorbear2008 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:19 am

Yeah, I'm aware some are 'clinic only' but some states (like Colorado) allow it after completion of 2 years with a supervised attorney. I am looking at PD/Prosecution jobs for the summer in states that offer this program since courtroom practice is my goal.

Appreciate all the responses so far, keep 'em coming...

Grad_Student

Postby Grad_Student » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:33 pm

sailorbear2008 wrote:Hey guys, I've been searching all over the Internet for a list of states that allow you to try cases (usually indigent defense/misdemeanors) after you have completed your 2L year.

I know some have restrictions in terms of supervision or certain class requisites, but if anyone has a link to a site that lists them or happens to know them I would appreciate it.

I am mainly interested to find out if Texas does, but other states would be helpful to know about.

I know Ohio, Florida, and Colorado do...any others are appreciated.

Yes Texas does. You just apply for a student bar card, generally, through your school's career services office. However, since you aren't in Texas, I'm not sure what route you go through. I sat 2nd in a certification hearing as a 1L, pretty fun but wish I had that bar card.

rabbit9198

Postby rabbit9198 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:30 pm

awesomepossum wrote:Michigan you can after your 1L year. I think that's true of CT as well but I'm not sure.

Connecticut lets you do it even in your 1L year; that's why YLS 1Ls can participate fully in clinics their 2nd semester.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:48 pm

Georgiana wrote:Why are any of these anonymous?

because people are stupid

viv

Postby viv » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:12 pm

Illinois.

Return to “Legal Employment”