Don't Let MTal get you down... there's HOPE! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Rocketman11

Silver

Re: Don't Let MTal get you down... there's HOPE!

Post by Rocketman11 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:According to a personal friend, who works for one of the top V5 firms in the state, whose firm ROUTINELY (yes, even in this economy) hires several new associates from the top 10-15% of the regional USNWR sub-50 school. They added that 95% of that group (top 10-15% of same sub 50 school) get picked up for "big law", with the other 5% going on to clerkships. So, if you, as a TLSer, have dreams of biglaw, and think you can crack the top 10-15% of a sub 50 school, there's HOPE. Consider the critics and possibilities, but don't let the nay-sayers get you down!
I'm wondering why you had to clarify that this was a "personal" friend? as opposed to a friend that you dont know?

Anyway this post fails. I dont care if your personal friend - who works in the mail room for all we know - says otherwise.

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:34 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:According to a personal friend, who works for one of the top V5 firms in the state, whose firm ROUTINELY (yes, even in this economy) hires several new associates from the top 10-15% of the regional USNWR sub-50 school. They added that 95% of that group (top 10-15% of same sub 50 school) get picked up for "big law", with the other 5% going on to clerkships. So, if you, as a TLSer, have dreams of biglaw, and think you can crack the top 10-15% of a sub 50 school, there's HOPE. Consider the critics and possibilities, but don't let the nay-sayers get you down!
I'm wondering why you had to clarify that this was a "personal" friend? as opposed to a friend that you dont know?

Anyway this post fails. I dont care if your personal friend - who works in the mail room for all we know - says otherwise.

Haha. +1.

digitalcntrl

Bronze

Post by digitalcntrl » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:48 pm

So suddenly a single piece of anecdotal evidence means we should ignore all the professionals out there as well as the statistics? That is assuming your "friend" is doling out accurate statements. You need only see people's experiences with OCI this year to get the real truth.

digitalcntrl

Bronze

Post by digitalcntrl » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:51 pm

wardboro wrote:I attend a Western regional T50 state school--think AZ/CO/UT. About 10% of the kids in my 2L class have summer associate offers at the regional "biglaw" shops. (Quotes are there because these are the big firms in the market and includes both very good local and decent regional firms.) There are still a few in the top ten without summer associate offers (not for lack of trying) and a good share of those with jobs had some sort of meaningful diversity factor. One kid in my class is on with a good IP firm on the coast. AFAIK no one else has a biglaw offer in a major market. Everyone else is struggling to survive.

It's a tough year to be a 2L, anyway. YMMV.
For consistency sake I would not refer to any firm as Big Law unless they are on the NALP 250. Not sure if you used that criteria when giving your statistics.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:15 pm

The economy + big firms taking a dump + relying on OCI as your primary job search method = FAIL in today’s market. Someday most law students will realize that, I hope, but right now most have not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”