Clerking with the CJ of the Supreme Court..

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerking with the CJ of the Supreme Court..

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:58 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a 2L and I will be clerking (well, I guess the correct term is externing) with the CJ of the state supreme court next semester. I know that federal clerkships/externships look more prestigious on a resume, but I was wondering how this will look in terms of getting a federal clerkship after graduation. Also, is there anything I should be doing to increase my chances?

I know my stats are probably important here - TTT, top 5%, law review

Thanks for any and all help =)

Ps. I am a little clueless on this topic, so if a federal clerkship would be completely out of my range, please be straightforward with me. However, there's no need for any rude comments - I understand that I attend a school that TLSers consider to be "bad."

Esc

Re: Clerking with the CJ of the Supreme Court..

Postby Esc » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:22 pm

Its difficult to get a federal clerkship out of a third-tier school, but not impossible. The federal courts of appeals will be essentially out of your reach, but federal district court and magistrate judges are possibilities. Apply to judges who graduated from your school and judges in your school's region. Some judges tend to hire regionally, especially if you are in a small state that doesn't have a major legal market (what some people disparagingly call "flyover states").

Most third-tier graduates won't have any chance of clerking for a federal judge, but with top 5%/LR/externing for a State CJ, you're one of the few that do. Good luck.

Use --LinkRemoved-- to research judges. Its a great website.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:36 pm

oh wow that website is awesome - thanks a lot. & thanks for the advice!

tengorazon

Postby tengorazon » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:08 pm

When we were reviewing clerkship applicants, externships didn't really play into our (the clerks) calculus, since, for better or worse, most students at the top law schools don't do them. That said, I think it can be very beneficial if your judge is willing to call some of his/her judge friends to put in a good word for you. A personal phone call goes a long way in the arbitrary clerkship application process.

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:08 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:11 pm

The internship will help a little when you apply for clerkships. It typically won't push an otherwise unqualified candidate over the edge, but your grades + law review already make you a competitive candidate. Everything else being equal, the internship will help.

I was TTT, LR, and top 10% with multiple judicial internships. I interviewed with an off-plan judge before accepting a clerkship with a state appellate judge. The prior judicial internships came up in both interviews, and both judges commented favorably on the fact that I had already written orders/opinions.

Return to “Legal Employment”