1L Summer Options? Help appreciated. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CRizzy141

New

1L Summer Options? Help appreciated.

Post by CRizzy141 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:21 am

Hey all,

I'm tremendously ignorant of the career development process, and I'm probably getting the ball rolling a little late on this one.

I'm a 1L student at a certain poorly regarded school in MI. 4.0 first term (trimester based), 15 credits in the bag, RA position and 2 book awards. I've done very little research, but from the limited reading I've done I've determined that obviously my firm chances are between none and null. The next thing I've noticed is federal judge internships. I'm assuming these are also very competitive, but I'd certainly like to investigate more.

Again, I'm tremendously ignorant of this process, so a shove in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Frankly, I feel a little nonplussed with the fact that our CD office hasn't said a word about this to me; were it not for the fact that one of my favorite professors emailed me a couple days ago suggesting I look at a website she came across, I wouldn't have even given this any thought until next term. Obviously, that's my fault just as much if not more for failing to research; I just got caught up studying, as I want to nail this term and put myself in the best possible position for the upcoming year (lots of pressure to transfer from friends, still haven't decided to though).

Thanks for any information and/or websites. I'm open to pretty much anything at this point; the reason I focused on the federal judge internship was just illogical prejudice against state judiciaries and a desire to broaden my horizons.

FrankReynolds

Bronze

Re: 1L Summer Options? Help appreciated.

Post by FrankReynolds » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:52 am

transfer.transfer.transfer.

Unadilla Kayaker

Bronze

Post by Unadilla Kayaker » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:14 am

Why have the prejudice against state judges? You're a 1L. It's early and going to be incredibly tough to find a good SA from your school (from what I've heard about it being hard for everyone and you saying your school isn't that well respected). Working for a judge can give you experience in the process and will let you see lawyers in action. If you can find one, I'd take it. Might help you ratchet up transfers or 2L SAs. Maybe I'm talking out of turn, but I don't understand why the hostility to them. Appeals courts review the cases argued at the lower levels and most lawyers argue cases in state courts.

Then again, I am admittedly a nobody 0L. But I still think experience is experience, especially ITE.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:21 am

In Detroit, I think one of the best summer gigs (unpaid) for law students is the State Appellate Defenders Office.

yabbadabbado

Bronze

Post by yabbadabbado » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:02 pm

Are you the Cooley student who posted on LSD? I think Cooley is one of the only schools with a trimester system. When will you be done with your 1L year? If you want to transfer you'll have to work out the logistics to make sure you make application deadlines.

Anyway, there are lots of options if you don't mind working for free. Try DA/PD's offices, state appellate court judges, legal aid organizations, and any state or federal govt. branch offices that are nearby.

One tip: never call judges directly, call their clerks.

If all else fails you can intern for a solo practitioner. I don't think it will come to that though.

Not all these places will advertise internships so you'll have to do some polite cold calling to see what the deal is. If you are looking for somewhere to work this upcoming summer, worry about that over winter break and just stay focused on grades for now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:13 pm

transfer transfer transfer!
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:40 pm

transfer transfer transfer transfer!

CRizzy141

New

Post by CRizzy141 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:44 pm

Yeah, as it stands right now, at the end of this term I'll be at 27 credits. As a result, I'll most likely be taking 3-6 credits next term while I apply to schools; hopefully I'll be able to retain my RA position as well, or otherwise find something to boost my resume for the spring. Thanks for the information everyone; greatly appreciated.

When does the application period for internships like this usually begin?

Do courts usually prefer interns from the districts in which they reside or otherwise go to school?

What types of 1L internships stand out on resumes? I should put here that big law isn't really my goal; if it were to emerge as an option after transferring I'd obviously give it consideration for the experience (and, of course, for the debt relief), but it's not my primary motivation. From the little research I've done so far, the one thing I know I'm interested in is clerking. Other than that, blank slate.

yabbadabbado wrote:Are you the Cooley student who posted on LSD? I think Cooley is one of the only schools with a trimester system. When will you be done with your 1L year? If you want to transfer you'll have to work out the logistics to make sure you make application deadlines.

Anyway, there are lots of options if you don't mind working for free. Try DA/PD's offices, state appellate court judges, legal aid organizations, and any state or federal govt. branch offices that are nearby.

One tip: never call judges directly, call their clerks.

If all else fails you can intern for a solo practitioner. I don't think it will come to that though.

Not all these places will advertise internships so you'll have to do some polite cold calling to see what the deal is. If you are looking for somewhere to work this upcoming summer, worry about that over winter break and just stay focused on grades for now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:55 pm

CRizzy141 wrote: When does the application period for internships like this usually begin?
You can start applying over winter break. As soon as exams are over, you may want to start making calls and see if you can set up interviews over break. Beware though, many 1L internships and especially public sector employers don't really start looking at apps until February or so, because by then most 1Ls have received 1st semester grades. Your situation is different, but still. It's not unusual for students to continue looking for and interviewing for their first summer job into March and April.
Do courts usually prefer interns from the districts in which they reside or otherwise go to school?
Probably, though this goes for any employer. They like to hire from local schools because that's what they know. If you go to a low ranked school in the midwest, you're going to have a tough time getting any bites from employers in NYC or LA. That doesn't mean you shouldn't apply if you really want them job. Just make sure you have lots of realistic back ups because the odds are really long.
What types of 1L internships stand out on resumes?
Usually employers want to know what you did moreso than who you worked for. That doesn't mean certain things don't stand out more than others, but a lot of internships depend on you making sure you get the type of work you want. Basically, if you have multiple offers for unpaid internships, figure out what you'd be doing there, even if one "sounds" better than the other.

If the judge thing is really up your alley, apply to as many state appellate, state supreme, and federal judges as you can. Maybe look for judges that went to your current school or your undergrad.

Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CRizzy141

New

Post by CRizzy141 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:00 pm

I honestly don't have a good reason. The only justification I can really give is that I worked for the last 4 months reviewing MI Supreme Court decisions from the prior bench, and it's really turned me off to elected judiciaries. That itself is spurious though, because the gang of four, if I'm remember correctly, was actually appointed.
Unadilla Kayaker wrote:Why have the prejudice against state judges? You're a 1L. It's early and going to be incredibly tough to find a good SA from your school (from what I've heard about it being hard for everyone and you saying your school isn't that well respected). Working for a judge can give you experience in the process and will let you see lawyers in action. If you can find one, I'd take it. Might help you ratchet up transfers or 2L SAs. Maybe I'm talking out of turn, but I don't understand why the hostility to them. Appeals courts review the cases argued at the lower levels and most lawyers argue cases in state courts.

Then again, I am admittedly a nobody 0L. But I still think experience is experience, especially ITE.
Last edited by CRizzy141 on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CRizzy141

New

Post by CRizzy141 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:02 pm

Thanks for the information man. I know it can be a bit obnoxious to fire off questions like this when the information is all out there; it's just a lot more efficient to ask people who already know when I want to study than it would be to spend an evening digging around online. So thanks again, it's very helpful.
Anonymous User wrote:
CRizzy141 wrote: When does the application period for internships like this usually begin?
You can start applying over winter break. As soon as exams are over, you may want to start making calls and see if you can set up interviews over break. Beware though, many 1L internships and especially public sector employers don't really start looking at apps until February or so, because by then most 1Ls have received 1st semester grades. Your situation is different, but still. It's not unusual for students to continue looking for and interviewing for their first summer job into March and April.
Probably, though this goes for any employer. They like to hire from local schools because that's what they know. If you go to a low ranked school in the midwest, you're going to have a tough time getting any bites from employers in NYC or LA. That doesn't mean you shouldn't apply if you really want them job. Just make sure you have lots of realistic back ups because the odds are really long.
What types of 1L internships stand out on resumes?
Usually employers want to know what you did moreso than who you worked for. That doesn't mean certain things don't stand out more than others, but a lot of internships depend on you making sure you get the type of work you want. Basically, if you have multiple offers for unpaid internships, figure out what you'd be doing there, even if one "sounds" better than the other.

If the judge thing is really up your alley, apply to as many state appellate, state supreme, and federal judges as you can. Maybe look for judges that went to your current school or your undergrad.

Good luck.

BasketCaseBrief

New

Post by BasketCaseBrief » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:01 am

I'd imagine there are lots of non-profits in poor Michigan that provide legal clinics to the needy and poor who need your assistance. Volunteer there. I volunteer twice a week at a major non-profit here in DC, and you'd be surprised at how much legal assistance at their clinics is in demand. With so many people without the funds to pay for a lawyer, and who are being foreclosed or evicted or have family matters with children, child support, custody, or landlord/tenant issues, you're almost guaranteed to gain some experience and a few notches on the resume that show passion.

Clerkships are extraordinarily competitive to get. But since you're punching out 4.0's at your tier 4, I see no reason why the possibility of you getting one wouldn't exist.

Also transfer.

Georgetown51

New

Post by Georgetown51 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:02 pm

Take whatever you can get.

Honestly follow up on every option. Getting a 1L gig, even when getting paid nothing, is not easy these days.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CRizzy141

New

Post by CRizzy141 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:18 pm

Are the people advising me to transfer currently students or practicing lawyers? NOT being snarky here, I'm genuinely curious. Trying to get as much input as possible.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:30 pm

CRizzy141 wrote:Are the people advising me to transfer currently students or practicing lawyers? NOT being snarky here, I'm genuinely curious. Trying to get as much input as possible.
The former. However, this doesn't mean that the advice isn't good. You want to graduate from the best institution you can, and a certain poorly regarded school in Michigan has, according to the Conventional Wisdom, the possibility of being a real black mark to employers. Unless you are receiving significant, non-GPA based scholarship at your current school, transferring to a better institution could improve your long term career options.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”