URM OCI callbacks????

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
underdawg

Re: URM OCI callbacks????

Postby underdawg » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:39 am

da urmz should look into diversity scholarships that firms offer too. some (like latham's) don't even require you to work there. urmz also have a better shot at firms jobs 1L too. and there's a bunch of diversity scholarships for 1L urmz. any urm at the top of their class in a T14 should NOT say "fuck it" to a 1L firm job search.

FrankReynolds

Postby FrankReynolds » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:59 pm

^^^credited

I doubt the firms are just gonna can their diversity scholarship programs. Once they start one, they are in some ways obligated to keep it going year after year.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:11 pm

FrankReynolds wrote:^^^credited

I doubt the firms are just gonna can their diversity scholarship programs. Once they start one, they are in some ways obligated to keep it going year after year.

Reliable anonymous internet sources have told me otherwise.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:45 pm

what would really suck is if they still have the program but secretly take no one, or just one person. I'd be pissed if I spent time writing all those essays and getting LOR just to find out it was a hoax.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:48 pm

underdawg wrote:da urmz should look into diversity scholarships that firms offer too. some (like latham's) don't even require you to work there. urmz also have a better shot at firms jobs 1L too. and there's a bunch of diversity scholarships for 1L urmz. any urm at the top of their class in a T14 should NOT say "fuck it" to a 1L firm job search.

+1

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:33 am

legends159 wrote:what would really suck is if they still have the program but secretly take no one, or just one person. I'd be pissed if I spent time writing all those essays and getting LOR just to find out it was a hoax.

This is my worry. The programs still exist to my knowledge but may resemble 3L OCI. Imagine a reception. There is a throng. The associates are smiling. The 1Ls are smiling. The partners holding the resumes are smiling the widest of all.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:54 am

Kohinoor wrote:
legends159 wrote:what would really suck is if they still have the program but secretly take no one, or just one person. I'd be pissed if I spent time writing all those essays and getting LOR just to find out it was a hoax.

This is my worry. The programs still exist to my knowledge but may resemble 3L OCI. Imagine a reception. There is a throng. The associates are smiling. The 1Ls are smiling. The partners holding the resumes are smiling the widest of all.

im guessing you can prob use the same essays and LORs for each one

so get crackin!

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:00 am

This seems verrrrrrrrrrrry likely.

FrankReynolds

Postby FrankReynolds » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:19 am

what would really suck is if they still have the program but secretly take no one, or just one person. I'd be pissed if I spent time writing all those essays and getting LOR just to find out it was a hoax.

IMO, the fallback of doing this is much worse than the fake 3L OCI. No one is tracking 3L OCI.

But many sources track diversity hiring, and it is not far-fetched that some random HR employees of a law firm would leak something like this to abovethelaw.

Granted these will be very competitive, and probably not as large, but I highly doubt they will just stop hiring URM 1Ls. I believe the vast majority of URMs hired through this end up at the firm post-grad.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:36 am

FrankReynolds wrote:

IMO, the fallback of doing this is much worse than the fake 3L OCI. No one is tracking 3L OCI.

But many sources track diversity hiring, and it is not far-fetched that some random HR employees of a law firm would leak something like this to abovethelaw.

Granted these will be very competitive, and probably not as large, but I highly doubt they will just stop hiring URM 1Ls. I believe the vast majority of URMs hired through this end up at the firm post-grad.

I was wondering about that. So do the URMs hired through 1L firm programs come back for their 2L year and post grad?

legends159

Postby legends159 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:31 am

well to get back to the firm 2L summer you'd have to interview and get an offer. I would imagine it might be easier if you have done a summer with the firm, but I don't think it's that much easier. I know a few people who did 1L summer through the diveristy programs at top elite firms but aren't going back 2L summer. I didn't ask why though, so maybe they decided not to go back.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:37 am

FrankReynolds wrote:

I can see the headlines now: ""

FrankReynolds

Postby FrankReynolds » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:34 pm

well to get back to the firm 2L summer you'd have to interview and get an offer.

false

BradyToMoss

Postby BradyToMoss » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:43 pm

legends159 wrote:well to get back to the firm 2L summer you'd have to interview and get an offer. I would imagine it might be easier if you have done a summer with the firm, but I don't think it's that much easier. I know a few people who did 1L summer through the diveristy programs at top elite firms but aren't going back 2L summer. I didn't ask why though, so maybe they decided not to go back.

:roll:

It's fairly common for a 1L who summered at a firm to be invited back for 2L summer without any interview (this is true for both diversity programs and regular 1L SAs). They are also often able to secure an offer after a short summer stint during 2L (usually 3-6 weeks).

Poenitentiae

Postby Poenitentiae » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:05 pm

MVP, Secondary Journal
14 OCI slots
4 interviews at diversity fair

UnTouChablE

Postby UnTouChablE » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:56 pm

Good Thread!

Chicago 0L tryin to judge the likelihood of 1L Law firm work.

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:36 am

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnTouChablE

Postby UnTouChablE » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:18 pm

bwv812 wrote:
UnTouChablE wrote:Good Thread!

Extremely unlikely, but more than the ~0% of non-URMs.

Shittt, I really wanna get paid 1L summer. When to you start mass-mailing, November?

Poenitentiae

Postby Poenitentiae » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:36 pm

Poenitentiae wrote:MVP, Secondary Journal
14 OCI slots

4 rejection
1 callback

Plan to attend two more diversity fairs.

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:11 pm

UnTouChablE wrote:
bwv812 wrote:
UnTouChablE wrote:Good Thread!

Extremely unlikely, but more than the ~0% of non-URMs.

Shittt, I really wanna get paid 1L summer. When to you start mass-mailing, November?

Firms are not the only paid gigs, look into research for a professor or some such, it'll pay some small amount at least.

1Ls can't start applying till December 1st.

Poenitentiae

Postby Poenitentiae » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:36 pm

Poenitentiae wrote:
14 OCI slots

4 rejection
1 callback

Cycle finished.

26 interviews
2 callbacks
1 offer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:56 pm

Poenitentiae wrote:
Poenitentiae wrote:
14 OCI slots

4 rejection
1 callback

Cycle finished.

26 interviews
2 callbacks
1 offer

Congrats! Can you share any stats?

Poenitentiae

Postby Poenitentiae » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Poenitentiae wrote:
Poenitentiae wrote:
14 OCI slots

4 rejection
1 callback

Cycle finished.

26 interviews
2 callbacks
1 offer

Congrats! Can you share any stats?

MVP, Secondary Journal

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:00 pm

T30, top third rank, no journal, corporate work experience

17 interviews, 1 rejection, 9 callbacks so far (only been on 5 as of now),

I only shot for secondary markets (midwest) and mostly NLJ250 lifestyle firms (110-125k range, 1700-1850 billable hours), with a few sweatshops thrown in. I'm pretty convinced that any URM not doing well this year just sucks at interviewing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T30, top third rank, no journal, corporate work experience

17 interviews, 1 rejection, 9 callbacks so far (only been on 5 as of now),

I only shot for secondary markets (midwest) and mostly NLJ250 lifestyle firms (110-125k range, 1700-1850 billable hours), with a few sweatshops thrown in. I'm pretty convinced that any URM not doing well this year just sucks at interviewing.

Or they go to a school that doesn't host a lot of secondary market firms.

Return to “Legal Employment”