Any lawyers gone solo or started their own small firm? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Any lawyers gone solo or started their own small firm?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:36 pm

Have any of you gone solo or started a small firm after working in a firm, government agency, or non-profit for a few years? Would you mind sharing your motivation for it, your experience thus far, and any tips?

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Any lawyers gone solo or started their own small firm?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:00 pm

Quick bump, anyone willing to share their personal experience or maybe the experience of an acquaintance who went this route?

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:08 pm

Anyone doing this is too busy to be a poster on TLS.

lsb

Bronze

Post by lsb » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:09 pm

I don't know too much about it, but I do know it's like a business. Some make a shitload of money while others make peanuts. I'm sure the latter is much more common.

Also, it seems like most solos practice shitlaw and are not doing M&A or something prestigious. At the same time, it's often better to work for yourself. For instance, I would rather own my own business than be exploited by some corporation.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:26 pm

lsb wrote:I don't know too much about it, but I do know it's like a business. Some make a shitload of money while others make peanuts. I'm sure the latter is much more common.

Also, it seems like most solos practice shitlaw and are not doing M&A or something prestigious. At the same time, it's often better to work for yourself. For instance, I would rather own my own business than be exploited by some corporation.
Lol... a solo M&A lawyer.. now that's something I want to see.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have any of you gone solo or started a small firm after working in a firm, government agency, or non-profit for a few years? Would you mind sharing your motivation for it, your experience thus far, and any tips?

Thanks.
This isn't the type of thing you need to be anonymous for. And the bump? Good lord.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”