Golf and Law?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
notinitformoney

Golf and Law?

Postby notinitformoney » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:50 pm

Does this stereotype really hold true? Would it benefit me at all, when applyign to positions at firms, that I am a scratch golfer and was captain of my team in college? Or would they not want to play with me because I would kick their butts?

lsb

Re: Golf and Law?

Postby lsb » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:54 pm

notinitformoney wrote:Does this stereotype really hold true? Would it benefit me at all, when applyign to positions at firms, that I am a scratch golfer and was captain of my team in college? Or would they not want to play with me because I would kick their butts?

Don't worry. If your shooting for biglaw, no one will have any time to golf.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:55 pm

Partners golf for client development. My firm did replace the annual golf tournament with a cycling event though.

Probably won't matter much to a junior associate. You won't be bringing in significant business until you are at least a midlevel (really not until you are on the cusp of partnership)- and then only if you are one of those people likely to make partner.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:35 am

I'd put it down. It's at least a conversation piece with some.

Oban

Postby Oban » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:44 am

nealric wrote:

Partners golf for client development. My firm did replace the annual golf tournament with a cycling event though.

Probably won't matter much to a junior associate. You won't be bringing in significant business until you are at least a midlevel (really not until you are on the cusp of partnership)- and then only if you are one of those people likely to make partner.

I hear cycling is the new golf, at least in the bay area. Which is good since i'm a biker.

snootles76

Postby snootles76 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:24 am

notinitformoney wrote:Does this stereotype really hold true? Would it benefit me at all, when applyign to positions at firms, that I am a scratch golfer and was captain of my team in college? Or would they not want to play with me because I would kick their butts?

I would definitely put it in my resume. As a previous poster stated, it serves as a nice conversation piece. Plus, it will get you out of the office. Since I started working at a firm 3 months ago, I've played in 1 tournament with partners and have been asked to play 2 other times.

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:26 am

If you don't go to a t-14 I heard you are incapable of playing golf.

Postby 06072010 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:39 am

The guys and girls at my firm when they can. As a scratch golfer you will embarrass most of them, but if you're aren't a dick about it they will repect yo' skillz. I sure do. If I shoot under triple digits and have enough balls (like golf balls -- but perhaps testicular fortitude as well) to finish all 18, I feel like I just won the PGA championship. My main goal is to get the clubhouse with some dignity so that I can lose it by drinking 10 Makers & Cokes.

Return to “Legal Employment”