Future of legal specialties Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jason8821

Bronze

Future of legal specialties

Post by jason8821 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:07 pm

hello, I am curious as to what legal specialties are projected to be most popular in the future. In the year 2016 or 2020, i it likely that there will be a greater demand for environmental attorneys or those with technical backgrounds?

Edit: Also, I am rather new to this forum, and after reading some of the horror stories that graduates have experienced. I am sure this will effect many people when thinking about whether or not they should attempt to go to law school.

None the less, I am curious to hear other opinions. Is it really that bad right now. Even if you were to graduate from a Tier 3 and start out making 55-60k/year with 100k debt. Assuming you have no other outstanding expenses such as a family, medical bills etc. It seems that you could potentially pay off this debt in less than 7-10 years. This is all assuming that one would find a job. I mean if we assume that someone making 55k/year ends up netting 42k/year, they could spend $15,000/year on loans, and still live a FAIRLY COMFORTABLE life especially compared to other 27-30 year olds, and of course law school is an investment, assuming all loans were paid off, and that salary climbed significantly, I think even given these circumstances it could be a nice investment as one approaches their 40's and 50's. I know that expenses come with age (mortgage, children etc.) but even with the low numbers from above and going to a lower tier law school, it is certainly possible to have a nice 6 figure salary with little debt as one enters their 40's, and this is what many well educated people desire.

Are graduates really having that much trouble, or are expectations of a six figure salary when leaving college too high? I mean a 30k/salary with no debt, or a 60k/salary with a good amount of debt doesn't sound that bad at the age of 27-30, single etc. I mean there will certainly be people making more money with an associates, but a good education serves you in many other ways that will likely pay off throughout the rest of your life.

Again, I don't know all the variables that could effect ones salary and lifestyle as a lawyer, so if I am missing something please let me know.

Thanks.
Last edited by jason8821 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthies

Silver

Re: Future of legal specialties

Post by Matthies » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:48 pm

Environmental/Natural Resource law is one of the areas they predict will have continued demand. Not sure on others.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”