Start Dates - Quick Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TTH

Start Dates - Quick Question

Postby TTH » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:40 pm

If a new associate isn't deferred, when would he or she traditionally start? September?

jhett

Re: Start Dates - Quick Question

Postby jhett » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:05 pm

Even traditionally, it varied by firm. Some firms set a single start date sometime between Aug. - Nov. for everyone. Other firms allow incoming associates to pick a date to start (e.g. any Monday in Sept.).

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:18 pm

Right, even traditionally it varied by firm, some giving one start date and others several.

I think, though, that traditionally it was uncommon not to have at least one optional start date before November or so. (i.e., some firms would let their incoming associates choose between e.g. Sept 15, Oct 15, Nov 15.)

snootles76

Postby snootles76 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:27 am

TipTravHoot wrote:If a new associate isn't deferred, when would he or she traditionally start? September?

I think it depends on the firm. Some firms might want to wait until bar results come out, while others, feel comfortable enough having you start beforehand.

I even know some colleagues who started at a lower salary (law clerk pay-scale) and then had their salary bumped to the attorney pay-scale once they found out that they had passed the bar.

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:34 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snootles76

Postby snootles76 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:51 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
snootles76 wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:If a new associate isn't deferred, when would he or she traditionally start? September?

I think it depends on the firm. Some firms might want to wait until bar results come out, while others, feel comfortable enough having you start beforehand.

I even know some colleagues who started at a lower salary (law clerk pay-scale) and then had their salary bumped to the attorney pay-scale once they found out that they had passed the bar.

This sounds like a midlaw/small-law type of thing. I have never heard of it being the case within a large firm (where the routine approach is to start new associates before they've found out about bar results, and to pay them attorney scale right from the start).

Yes....I should have made that clearer. You're correct -- this is more of a mid/small-law practice to do this. I didn't realize that the OP was referring to biglaw only.

Return to “Legal Employment”