Quality of Work Life? Firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NotAnAmbiTurner

Quality of Work Life? Firms?

Postby NotAnAmbiTurner » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:39 pm

Hello my knowledgable fellow forum-goers,

I have a question, followed by an anecdote.

Are there some law firms which focus more on quality of life than others? I have heard stories about making a lot of money doing a lot of work, but I haven't heard anything about QWL-centered firms - do they exist?

Now, the anecdote:

I had a friend who was choosing a accounting firm for articling. She was offered a job in which the employer would pay $500/yr towards her for each of massage, acupuncture, aromatherapy, etc. (pretty much anything covered by her medical benefits).

Secondly, rather than requiring 60 hour weeks every week of the year, they banked overtime hours to allow flex days later on (eg. if she worked 40 hours O/T during the busy months, she could then take a week off based on this [not inclusive of vacation] during the less busy season).

This was not one of the top rated firms in my area, and the pay was about 20% less than top firms - but imo that could be worth it, at least after practicing for a few years and reducing/removing the debt.

I will pose the same question again: does something analogous to this exist in law firms?
Last edited by NotAnAmbiTurner on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Qualoty of Work Life? Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:21 pm

NotAnAmbiTurner wrote:Hello my knowledgable fellow forum-goers,

does something analogous to this exist in law firms?

Short answer: no. Longer answer: Absolutely not.

thompson

Re: Qualoty of Work Life? Firms?

Postby thompson » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NotAnAmbiTurner wrote:Hello my knowledgable fellow forum-goers,

does something analogous to this exist in law firms?

Short answer: no. Longer answer: Absolutely not.

I mean, titcr... my only question is, why are you posting anonymously for an answer that is common knowledge / would probably, if anything, be viewed favorably by employers?

viking138

Re: Quality of Work Life? Firms?

Postby viking138 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:34 pm

In law firms, not to my knowledge. In the government, yes. Not the massages, but the flex hours (if you're working for the federal government). I worked at a regulatory agency this summer and saw this first-hand. It's substantially less pay than biglaw firms, but it's also substantially lower hours.

NotAnAmbiTurner

Postby NotAnAmbiTurner » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:52 pm

Great information, thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:52 pm

IMO it doesn't make any sense from a business standpoint for them to grind you into the ground unless there are just WAY TOO MANY elite law school grads and they can always find a new one.

This is one of the reasons these "not quite top, but pretty good" firms exist in accounting - they get and retain their talented people (i.e. don't burn them out) and usually get people who care about more than straight up $ per year. Ask any Organizational Development, Organizational Behavior or HR person. It's just a differentiated recruitment/retention strategy.

I dunno, perhaps the big firms get a bad rap in terms of their exploitation of young, eager, open-minded recent grads?

Return to “Legal Employment”