OCI- Post mortem results?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
XxSpyKEx

Re: OCI- Post mortem results?

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:02 am

hiro86 wrote:
helfer snooterbagon wrote:I don't think you are going to get very accurate results here. First, no-one really has a good idea as to how their school faired. They can ask their friends but that is it. Second, I think people will be far more likely to post their good stories on here rather than bad ones. There will be some who talk about not getting an offer, callback etc., but mostly we will hear from those who did.

Sure, it's not going to be exact. But, I think it can provide some insight. People are generally friends with people of varying academic achievement and can use these people as a basis for how well the school fared. I'm certainly interested in hearing people's opinions, especially about the T14s.

Just to add to this, a lot of schools do collect this type of data and make it available to their students (although a lot of them may not be done with that yet-- mine isn't).

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:04 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:23 pm

it's also way early. I know people who got jobs from firms THIS WEEK. The government / PI recruiting process hasn't really gotten off the ground yet either.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:30 pm

Doesn't sound to unexpected... I think its like a general rule for firms that they don't hire 3Ls with no exceptions (at least nowadays).

But that's just it- they were 2Ls twice because their graduation dates were delayed (and hence eligible to be SAs).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:32 pm

lower T14. I don't know specific numbers, but anecdotally:

I was slightly below top 1/3 and on secondary journal; got no callbacks from OCI, got 2 callbacks from mailing campaign, got rejected by both. I contacted a small firm I worked for before, and might be able to work there again this summer for $12/hour.

I know at least 4 people on law review who got NO callbacks. There may be more.

I talked to the guy who won our in-house moot court competition, is in the top 10%, is on law review, and is widely ridiculed for being the biggest gunner in the school. He said he got 5 callbacks, but 4 rejected him and one hasn't gotten back to him yet.

I know just a couple of people who have jobs lined up, or are still selecting from multiple offers--they're definitely in the minority, and at least one of them has been a little bitchy about it socially, sticking it in classmates faces and the like.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:lower T14. I don't know specific numbers, but anecdotally:

I was slightly below top 1/3 and on secondary journal; got no callbacks from OCI, got 2 callbacks from mailing campaign, got rejected by both. I contacted a small firm I worked for before, and might be able to work there again this summer for $12/hour.

I know at least 4 people on law review who got NO callbacks. There may be more.

I talked to the guy who won our in-house moot court competition, is in the top 10%, is on law review, and is widely ridiculed for being the biggest gunner in the school. He said he got 5 callbacks, but 4 rejected him and one hasn't gotten back to him yet.

I know just a couple of people who have jobs lined up, or are still selecting from multiple offers--they're definitely in the minority, and at least one of them has been a little bitchy about it socially, sticking it in classmates faces and the like.

GULC or Cornell? ... You're posting anonymously anyway..

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:41 pm

nealric wrote:
Doesn't sound to unexpected... I think its like a general rule for firms that they don't hire 3Ls with no exceptions (at least nowadays).

But that's just it- they were 2Ls twice because their graduation dates were delayed (and hence eligible to be SAs).

Nice explanation, but firms probably look at them like 3Ls, and the general rule is engraved in stone (kinda).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:48 pm

T14
I [i]finally[i] locked down my summer plans (Hallelujah!).
Based on some partial numbers from the school, it appears a little less than half of the class has offers thus far. There are a surprising number of people still doing callbacks with big firms or waiting to hear back*.

*Out of six callbacks, I got one rejection a few weeks ago, but everything else was in the past week and a half -- one offer, three dings, and one still pending when I withdrew.

neskerdoo

Postby neskerdoo » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:59 pm

OP's motives for starting this thread are officially suspect

hiro86

Postby hiro86 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:10 am

Wanted to update and say in the U of Chicago questions thread a current student said he estimates around half of the class has offers... which is scary considering the school's small class size and that it is the top school for the Chicago market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:32 am

I go to CLS. My circle of friends might be unrepresentative, but about half of us don't have offers.

adamlippes

Postby adamlippes » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:39 am

Last edited by adamlippes on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:24 am

Here at Duke, I'd say about a little less than half us have summer associate positions with biglaw firms. Although our career services offices claims there are more spots available, and that some might open up later on, I'm skeptical. I did a couple callbacks, no offers, and all but one I've gotten a ding. I'm hoping and praying on the last.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:49 am

hiro86 wrote:Wanted to update and say in the U of Chicago questions thread a current student said he estimates around half of the class has offers... which is scary considering the school's small class size and that it is the top school for the Chicago market.

Numbers are about the same at NU.

Mark71121

Postby Mark71121 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:54 am

i'd say GULC placed about 25% of the class at BIGLAW firms which is probably better than what i anticipated coming in. however, even top students (top 10%+LR) are being shutout of v10 and other "elite" firms.

i don't want to start the t14 vs. non-t14 fight, but those categories seemed pretty distinct to me ITE. of the 11 CBs I went on, i didn't see one non-t14 student. (many of my CBs were "super days" or at the very least had 3 or 4 others in the waiting room with me.) i have friends at Texas and Notre Dame who said they were absolutely massacred.

with that said, i wouldn't suggest attending GULC without significant $$$

bigben

Postby bigben » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I go to a T-25 school. Today, in class, our professor asked the 2Ls who still doesn't have a summer job for next year set up. There were 15-17 2Ls in the room and I was the only one not to raise my hand.

If this is "better than expected" I'm not really sure what the expectations were. From what I can gather probably half of the journal members (who comprise 23% of our class) still don't have jobs. This is at a school that traditionally does pretty well in terms of firm jobs for a T-25.

It's brutal.

Ouch. That is rough.

bigben

Postby bigben » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:58 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:From what I read CCN it sounds like most people over the median got offers.

This could mean 26%...not good at all...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:03 pm

This might sound a little terrible, but things actually look to be shaping up. Offers seem to be trickling in for the lower-ranked students in top schools. I have a few friends at a T14 who are way below median and just scored market-paying, major market offers. At my T6, I'm encountering more and more people who have jobs than don't. My impression is that, as waitlists shore up, lower-ranked students will get their offers (assuming they had callbacks and weren't dinged from them yet).

bigben

Postby bigben » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:06 pm

bwv812 wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
hiro86 wrote:
helfer snooterbagon wrote:I don't think you are going to get very accurate results here. First, no-one really has a good idea as to how their school faired. They can ask their friends but that is it. Second, I think people will be far more likely to post their good stories on here rather than bad ones. There will be some who talk about not getting an offer, callback etc., but mostly we will hear from those who did.

Sure, it's not going to be exact. But, I think it can provide some insight. People are generally friends with people of varying academic achievement and can use these people as a basis for how well the school fared. I'm certainly interested in hearing people's opinions, especially about the T14s.

Just to add to this, a lot of schools do collect this type of data and make it available to their students (although a lot of them may not be done with that yet-- mine isn't).

They do this when the market is good, as it has been for the last while (and they do it more for recruitment purposes than anything else). I wouldn't be surprised if we see some number fudging this season, where schools report their average placement stats of the last few years, as opposed to fully disclosing just how bad this year was.

Unfortunately this is probably right. I really hope there will be some good statistics available across the board so we can see what happened. For example, maybe another NLJ 250 placement study.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:09 pm

Sounds like the t14 didn't do all that bad overall. From what I gather firms dug to around top 1/4 at GULC and Cornell and close to top 1/2 elsewhere.. People that were at or below the median really couldn't expected much this year (even in good times being at median doesn't give you great odds).

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:14 pm

bigben wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:From what I read CCN it sounds like most people over the median got offers.

That's not what I meant though (and presumably everyone understood that it meant something like 49% of each class in CCN got offers).

edcrane

Postby edcrane » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:10 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
bigben wrote:

That's not what I meant though (and presumably everyone understood that it meant something like 49% of each class in CCN got offers).

If that's what you meant, you're wrong. As has been observed elsewhere, this year a decent number of people at and above the median at CCN struck out. Few firms seem to have significantly increased GPA cutoffs, yet most have reduced class sizes. Accordingly, competition on the basis of 'fit' increased a great deal. Consequently, there was no obvious GPA threshold that guaranteed you would or wouldn't get biglaw.

tarheel87

Postby tarheel87 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:07 pm

You all do realize that this is still better than most job markets right? I'm not trying to start a war on here, but I don't know too many recent graduates in any field that are doing much better than this and many are doing worse.

adamlippes

Postby adamlippes » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:15 pm

tarheel87 wrote:You all do realize that this is still better than most job markets right? I'm not trying to start a war on here, but I don't know too many recent graduates in any field that are doing much better than this and many are doing worse.

Medicine? Pharmacy? Dentistry?

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:11 am

edcrane wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
bigben wrote:

If that's what you meant, you're wrong. As has been observed elsewhere, this year a decent number of people at and above the median at CCN struck out. Few firms seem to have significantly increased GPA cutoffs, yet most have reduced class sizes. Accordingly, competition on the basis of 'fit' increased a great deal. Consequently, there was no obvious GPA threshold that guaranteed you would or wouldn't get biglaw.

Dude, there was never a GPA theshold that guaranteed that you would get biglaw (except maybe at the way top, e.g. top 1%, and that was only with the firms on the top of the vault chart that only care about grades). I mean as students we all like to quantify odds and everything else but I think almost all firms look more qualititatively then we like to think. Point being if you are douchebag and have a terrible personality you didn't get a offers ITE, and wouldn't have in a good economy.

People at and above the median might have struck out, but I think close to half the class at CCN got offers anyway.

Return to “Legal Employment”