OCI- Post mortem results?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
XxSpyKEx

OCI- Post mortem results?

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:38 pm

What was your school's results in terms of what % of the class got SA offers in biglaw this year? (Sounds like it was much better then anticipated.) Feel free to post anonymously, but do post up your actual school (ideally) just to get a better idea of how each school did this year.

edgarderby

Re: OCI- Post mortem results?

Postby edgarderby » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:42 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:(Sounds like it was much better then anticipated.)

From who? I was under the impression reading on here that from ND all the way up to Columbia and Chicago were having massive problems.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:43 pm

I go to a T-25 school. Today, in class, our professor asked the 2Ls who still doesn't have a summer job for next year set up. There were 15-17 2Ls in the room and I was the only one not to raise my hand.

If this is "better than expected" I'm not really sure what the expectations were. From what I can gather probably half of the journal members (who comprise 23% of our class) still don't have jobs. This is at a school that traditionally does pretty well in terms of firm jobs for a T-25.

It's brutal.

soulplaya

Postby soulplaya » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:59 pm

Mind telling us what school you go to?

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:41 am

edgarderby wrote:

From who? I was under the impression reading on here that from ND all the way up to Columbia and Chicago were having massive problems.

Sorry, didn't mean anything by this. It was more just a feeling I got from what I've read in the OCI callbacks thread, XOXO, and my school's offer % that I heard through the grapevine (not sure if the official numbers have been released or if they are still waiting for people to respond). From what I read CCN it sounds like most people over the median got offers. Outside of t10 it sounds like got hit pretty hard (even more so outside t14), but outside of t14 got hit pretty hard last year as well. It would be nice to have some actual percentages from students at specific schools to get a better idea though (which is why I started this thread).

What was your school's results in terms of what % of the class got SA offers in biglaw this year? Like I said, feel free to post anonymously if you don't want to "out" yourself.

edgarderby

Postby edgarderby » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:42 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:
edgarderby wrote:

Sorry, didn't mean anything by this. It was more just a feeling I got from what I've read in the OCI callbacks thread, XOXO, and my school's offer % that I heard through the grapevine (not sure if the official numbers have been released or if they are still waiting for people to respond). From what I read CCN it sounds like most people over the median got offers. Outside of t10 it sounds like got hit pretty hard (even more so outside t14), but outside of t14 got hit pretty hard last year as well. It would be nice to have some actual percentages from students at specific schools to get a better idea though (which is why I started this thread).

What was your school's results in terms of what % of the class got SA offers in biglaw this year? Like I said, feel free to post anonymously if you don't want to "out" yourself.

I'm not sure we keep track of this, but I only personally know one person that has a job, and at networking events for people that are still looking, there are plenty of law review and people that just barely missed law review.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:43 pm

soulplaya wrote:Mind telling us what school you go to?

BC

My best guess is that, at this point in time, ~15% of the class has something lined up for next summer. A few years back it would have been over half the class.

I also just double checked and I guess we're T-26, so my bad on that :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:15 pm

edgarderby wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
edgarderby wrote:

I'm not sure we keep track of this, but I only personally know one person that has a job, and at networking events for people that are still looking, there are plenty of law review and people that just barely missed law review.

I know UT has more students (and is ranked marginally higher), but many (most?) of my friends have jobs lined up. DC/NY/SoCal/NorCal/TX/Chi/etc. Only a few are on LR. Seems crazy that only a few USNWR spots would be the difference between very few and a decent number of jobs...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I know UT has more students (and is ranked marginally higher), but many (most?) of my friends have jobs lined up. DC/NY/SoCal/NorCal/TX/Chi/etc. Only a few are on LR. Seems crazy that only a few USNWR spots would be the difference between very few and a decent number of jobs...

I think ND's biggest problem is that it has so much competition on its own turf. UChicago, NorthWestern, Illinois, WUSTL is strong there, etc. UT owns Texas, which has a pretty nice legal market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:12 pm

Just for an idea of the change:

I knew 3 people who were 3Ls, but for various reasons got to interview as 2Ls again (joint degrees, etc.). 1 was no-offered. Others hadn't heard back by OCI.

Of the 3, not a single callback. These people had all gotten 5-10 callbacks last year (which was already a bad hiring season).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:58 pm

BC student again.

Found out today that 27 students so far have reported jobs. Out of 305 or so.

So, yeah...

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:BC student again.

So, yeah...

wowie

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:07 pm

VULS here, my guess would be about 20% of the class has a job lined up.

To the UT person up there, I doubt your numbers are that high... your group of friends probably just skew your perception. If I considered only my friends, the number would be ... well, about 50%... I can't even pretend that "most" of my friends have jobs. Pretty bleak out here.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 pm

So, yeah...

:shock:

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 pm

Any numbers in for any of the t14 schools yet?

M51

Postby M51 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:41 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:Any numbers in for any of the t14 schools yet?

I'm curious as well. BC guy, how did you get this information? Asked career services?
Also, keep in mind many people want to do PI anyway, have offer(s) they haven't taken, etc. So a raw employed/classsize is a questionable measuring stick.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:27 am

So, yeah...

Youch. I have no idea how BU is doing, but I assume its the exact same. Thats scary.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:41 am

I haven't the faintest clue what the overall numbers are, but it's slowly getting to the point where most people that I know about have jobs. I almost feel like the number of 2011 people without summer gigs < number of 2010 people who got no offered or un-summered.

Kompressor

Postby Kompressor » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:21 pm

M51 wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:Any numbers in for any of the t14 schools yet?

I'm curious as well. BC guy, how did you get this information? Asked career services?
Also, keep in mind many people want to do PI anyway, have offer(s) they haven't taken, etc. So a raw employed/classsize is a questionable measuring stick.

Ok, it's me. No real reason to be anonymous.

Info from career services, yeah. I'm sure there are some that haven't reported (I haven't yet), but I'd say it's probably closer to 35, maybe 40.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:VULS here, my guess would be about 20% of the class has a job lined up.

To the UT person up there, I doubt your numbers are that high... your group of friends probably just skew your perception. If I considered only my friends, the number would be ... well, about 50%... I can't even pretend that "most" of my friends have jobs. Pretty bleak out here.

Yeah, I go to UT as well, and I thought that was kind of ridiculous. I know of very few people who have jobs. I hear a lot of talk about how great the Texas market is doing. If this is good, I can't imagine how it is elsewhere.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:58 pm

UT

Top 1/3
secondary journal
some W/E
very active in community

I had 6 callbacks and 3 offers. I am splitting the summer. I have strong ties to the Houston market. I don't feel my experience is vastly different from my peers. I do feel extremely lucky to have an offer from my first choice.

helfer snooterbagon

Postby helfer snooterbagon » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:18 pm

I don't think you are going to get very accurate results here. First, no-one really has a good idea as to how their school faired. They can ask their friends but that is it. Second, I think people will be far more likely to post their good stories on here rather than bad ones. There will be some who talk about not getting an offer, callback etc., but mostly we will hear from those who did.

hiro86

Postby hiro86 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:49 pm

helfer snooterbagon wrote:I don't think you are going to get very accurate results here. First, no-one really has a good idea as to how their school faired. They can ask their friends but that is it. Second, I think people will be far more likely to post their good stories on here rather than bad ones. There will be some who talk about not getting an offer, callback etc., but mostly we will hear from those who did.

Sure, it's not going to be exact. But, I think it can provide some insight. People are generally friends with people of varying academic achievement and can use these people as a basis for how well the school fared. I'm certainly interested in hearing people's opinions, especially about the T14s.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:41 pm

I knew 3 people who were 3Ls, but for various reasons got to interview as 2Ls again (joint degrees, etc.). 1 was no-offered. Others hadn't heard back by OCI.

Of the 3, not a single callback. These people had all gotten 5-10 callbacks last year (which was already a bad hiring season).

It's me again:
Just FYI: this was at a T14

My experience is things have been rather capricious. For example, I talked to one person who got a CB at Skadden but nowhere else.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:

It's me again:
Just FYI: this was at a T14

My experience is things have been rather capricious. For example, I talked to one person who got a CB at Skadden but nowhere else.

Doesn't sound to unexpected... I think its like a general rule for firms that they don't hire 3Ls with no exceptions (at least nowadays).

Return to “Legal Employment”