good seminar paper

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

good seminar paper

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:28 am

what should a good seminar paper look like
The other day our professor put a past seminar paper on reserve and it's like 18 pages of summary: he goes over the statutes of 50 states and gives a summary of the overall trend or something. I would call it a summary, not analysis. If there was analysis, then it's like less than 10% of the whole paper.

I refrain from asking my professor because it would be like doubting his good judgment (well, maybe the rest of the class wrote worse papers, who knows?)

I know it'd be hard to think of something truly original or insightful, given most of what we can think of have been written, if not overwritten. But isn't a good seminar paper supposed to contain more substance?

Geat27

Re: good seminar paper

Postby Geat27 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:58 am

Anonymous User wrote: isn't a good seminar paper supposed to contain more substance?

Yes.

Merrill

Postby Merrill » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:what should a good seminar paper look like
The other day our professor put a past seminar paper on reserve and it's like 18 pages of summary: he goes over the statutes of 50 states and gives a summary of the overall trend or something. I would call it a summary, not analysis. If there was analysis, then it's like less than 10% of the whole paper.

I refrain from asking my professor because it would be like doubting his good judgment (well, maybe the rest of the class wrote worse papers, who knows?)

I know it'd be hard to think of something truly original or insightful, given most of what we can think of have been written, if not overwritten. But isn't a good seminar paper supposed to contain more substance?

What does this have to do with legal employment?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:35 am

Iam OP.
scared of revealing my identity ....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:37 am

what's so funny is the author of the said paper was on law review and published a LR note (better work for sure).

I thought i missed something - I reread his seminar paper and even footnotes, which are mostly referential, id. not inferential, see id.

Return to “Legal Employment”