Philadelphia Legal Market

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Philadelphia Legal Market

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:19 pm

I was wondering if anyone had any insights into how well Philadelphia is doing, considering the economic downturn. Has anyone tried interviewing with Philadelphia firms? How has it gone? Also, feel free to post links that have information. I would appreciate it.

Anonymous User

Re: Philadelphia Legal Market

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:20 pm

Is in shambles.

--LinkRemoved--

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:32 pm

I am at a T6 and actually took a summer position at a midsize regional firm in Philly that has not deferred associates (new batch of associates started on time after Labor Day) and pays close to market (125K as a first year, no lockstep). It seems that some of the midsize firms in Philly are doing decent because they have lower billing rates, attracted a more diverse client base, and thus were not as hard hit by the economic downturn. Most of the big firms have been hit hard just as in other places though (e.g., Blank Rome, Dechert, Morgan Lewis isn't even having a summer program this year). Check out the Legal Intelligencer (http://www.law.com/jsp/pa/index.jsp) if you are looking for more specific info on the firms, as they have been covering a lot more of the stuff in depth that hit-and-run stories that usually turn up in the newspapers.

Some of the firms that have generally escaped a lot of the large scale layoffs and cancellation of summer programs in Philly include Pepper Hamilton, Cozen O'Connor, Fox Rothschild, Drinker Biddle & Reath, Duane Morris and Eckert Seamans Cherin. Not all of those are on solid ground (Drinker did the apprentice model and cut 1st year salaries), and although all those aren't big firms, they seem to have done better than the bigger firms in Philly in the recession.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:39 pm

i go to penn and general consensus is that philly market got absolutely destroyed, much worse than ny

Return to “Legal Employment”