publication in a good law journal of another school

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

publication in a good law journal of another school

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:56 pm

I turned in my first draft of a health law article to my supervisor, and he said I should seriously consider publishing it in a "law and medicine" journal of his alma mater (think HY .... ) adding that I've chosen a very good topic and the draft was already very well-written...

I feel flattered. Hypo: If I indeed got lucky enough to have this so-called well-written piece of work published in the said journal, would it help my job prospect in any way?

I go to a T20 and so academia is out of the question ....

I have an offer from a firm in a secondary market and am dying to find a better firm job ....

should I reserve my work for law review of my own school??

(I reserve this question for you smart dudes here - for obvious reasons, I don't want to pose this question to him)

Anonymous User

Re: publication in a good law journal of another school

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:42 pm

I don't see why you wouldn't submit it for publication to his alma mater. You will only have something to gain.

Difficult to say how much it will help your job search, but it will bolster your resume. It's my understanding that academia is not out of the question just because you are T20....you just may not be able to teach at a T20 school. If you are interested in this route, talk to career services or talk to your professors (especially any who attended your school).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:00 pm

am ashamed to say I do not have very outstanding grades in my first year.

I have been fairly strategic in my course selection. I spent almost a whole month on this project. I have also completed a paper for another course, which is now under review at a non-law journal (it is an interdisciplinary journal indexed in many social science databases) and likely to get published too.

Even if academia is not completely out of the question, I certainly won't be able to enter academia right away. a good firm is what i need ... :roll:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:09 pm

Context: I am a 3L on the board of a T14 LR and am currently publishing with a secondary journal at a different T14 school.

You are a 2L, right? If that is the case, then publishing now probably won't help your job search that much, but it still might help out a tiny bit. The greater benefits will come later on, if you decide to apply for clerkships, or if you end up doing 3L OCI (if that comes back from the dead...) or lateral hiring down the road. I agree with the poster above that academia is not out of the question for you, as long as you rack up (1) sick grades; (2) a great clerkship; (3) LR + board; (4) additional publications.

The question of where you should seek to publish has a lot to do with where you are with your LR note or comment right now. I assume that you are currently working on that if you are a 2L. If that is the case, then you should focus on getting your note/comment published in your own LR and shop the medicine law article elsewhere. The best way to do this is via BE Press, which costs $2 per journal to submit electronically. BEP is nice because you can send electronic expedite requests and updates to the journals you submit to really easily--no need to fool around with e-mail addresses or stamps/printing/etc. While most journals are probably winding down their fall selection processes, there might be a few still going and a few others that operate on a rolling basis. Point being, get your submission cleaned up and out the door out pronto.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:19 pm

I don't think 3L OCi is dead - well maybe my wishful thinking.
I noticed that there are a lot of 3L people on the interview lists of some reputable firms, at least at my school. then, again, they might be doing that for appearance's sake.

I plan to use this article to note onto my school's law review. I am with a secondary journal.

thanks anyway, guys.

Return to “Legal Employment”