asking an awkward question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

asking an awkward question

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:45 pm

So i'm deciding between a v5 firm and a federal job that generally offers its summers (not DoJ or anything defense or intelligence-oriented), and I think I'd prefer the latter. However I am worried that I'll get dinged on a background check. I was charged with two misdemeanors more than five years ago. separate incidents at that.

The knowledge that I would fail the federal background check would push me towards the firm. How can i bring this up without sounding like a scofflaw? And should I bring it up? Of course I'll ultimately disclose, but I'd like to know now if my actions will come back to haunt me. Those with some knowledge of the federal background process please chip. Scolds can do so too. it was pretty dumb.

Anonymous User

Re: asking an awkward question

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:56 pm

You should not get dinged for that.

azlawlady

New

Post by azlawlady » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:00 pm

Is there anyway you could inquire as to what their hiring policies are without actually telling them about your history? You might also be able to look it up online.

USAIRS

Bronze

Post by USAIRS » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:03 pm

What were the outcomes of the charges?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:16 pm

op here.

deferred adjudication conditioned on successful completion of community service. so no conviction but not an outright dismissal either

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:22 pm

Well, it's not like that's anything they won't find out in the background check anyway, so you might as well ask. They aren't going to ding you for something they wouldn't ding you for anyway just because you brought it up sooner than you had to.

USAIRS

Bronze

Post by USAIRS » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:op here.

deferred adjudication conditioned on successful completion of community service. so no conviction but not an outright dismissal either
The thing is, it may not matter for your internship, but they likely do a more in-depth background check for the permanent hire. I've done two of these permanent-hire checks, and the whole process, even if you have nothing to worry about, is just tiresome because you have no idea why they are taking about a year to do the check. The internship ones take a couple weeks and are no big deal. A dismissal definitely sounds better than a deferred adjudication, but I think the permanent background check wants all charges or arrests.

To be honest, if it were me I'd probably put my first couple of years into the V-5, apply from there to the government job, and not leave to take the Gov't job until they clear you preliminarily. That is despite my leaning towards government work. The ball is in your court, though. I'd be completely frank and open about it to whoever your point of contact is, and ask that person if there is another point of contact you should discuss it with in HR. You have nothing to lose by asking, and people are pretty understanding of this kind of stuff. It should not be awkward at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:03 pm

Having had a TS/SCI clearance before, I can tell you this:

Any omissions from your record will ding, if not disqualify you. As far as admission to them for a federal job, it depends on what level of clearance you need to have. If it is just your standard Secret level clearance, you should be fine, as long as the misdemeanors didn't have anything to do with violation of trust/violence. If it is a TS level clearance, you may be screwed. I have a friend that got denied a TS clearance because he had a $50 parking ticket he forgot to pay 10 years prior to applying for a TS clearance.

Best thing for you to do is to divulge any information in your background that you know is suspect, especially for a government job. If they don't hire you, well, it happens. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”