DoD Cover Letter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DoD Cover Letter

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:57 pm

It seems like such a broad agency, and I don't know anyone who works there. Anybody have any thoughts about what to say in a cover letter for a summer associate position?

USAIRS

Re: DoD Cover Letter

Postby USAIRS » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:08 pm

There seems to be a lot of information here: http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/

I don't see why you can't tailor a resume and coverletter to show why you'd be a good fit from the information on their site.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:05 pm

Yeah, that's usually what I do, but for some reason it just seems like it says a whole lot of nothing. You didn't get that impression? Usually there's some kind of solid mission statement and a culture that comes through. I didn't pick up on any of that. Is there anyone with DoD experience who can pontificate? What's the culture like, and what are they looking for in newcomers?

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:09 pm

dedication to public sector?

USAIRS

Postby USAIRS » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:22 am

I don't think it says a whole lot of nothing. I think it doesn't make much sense to you because you don't know what it all means. It seems to me that they do a range of in-house government work ranging from policy work to DOJ referrals. Since military branches have their own litigators, it doesn't seem that they'd do any administrative litigation, but would act in an advisory role to other attorneys. In the agencies, attorneys often are like high-level government officers, who write legal advice on how the different units should function within the law, trouble-shooting, and occasional policy work.

Underdawg is right that you'll need a general government bend. Unless you have defense experience to relate to, probably the best thing you can focus on is the desire to work at a high-level in the government and your perceived importance of the function of this government agency. I keep going back to this website, and it is actually super-informative relative to other agency counsel. The DoD OGC has several operating groups, including environmental, legislative, and international affairs. Perhaps you have an interest in one of these specifically.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:28 am

USAIRS,
Thank you for your feedback. I think you're right that I just plainly didn't understand it.

Return to “Legal Employment”