Kirkland offer ltr Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
toplawcom

New

Kirkland offer ltr

Post by toplawcom » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:37 pm

Hey, anybody else noticed this? Kirkland offer ltr states the offer is conditional upon maintaining an academic record comparable with the transcript they've been provided with. What does this mean? so the summer offer is still conditional? is this just standard language or a serious condition?

LawandOrder

Silver

Re: Kirkland offer ltr

Post by LawandOrder » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:09 pm

How can you possibly be capable enough to receive an offer letter from Kirkland but yet not be able to comprehend what this means?

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:14 pm

A lot of these letters have these kinds of conditions. There are grades conditions, background check conditions, and conflicts conditions and probably more that I don't remember.

Essentially they reserve the right to not hire you if something weird happens. Considering that they have the right not to hire you for virtually no reason whatsoever, it really makes no difference. Welcome to the world of at-will employment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:39 pm

does that mean its not totally inappropriate to accept an offer, and a few days later call them back and say, "well, i changed my mind'?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:does that mean its not totally inappropriate to accept an offer, and a few days later call them back and say, "well, i changed my mind'?

I don't think it's against contract rules although I could be wrong about that....considering they make the offer conditionally and people usually agree without reservation....so I dunno. However, It's likely against NALP guidelines (although I don't know how this would hurt you......the bar maybe?) and is probably inappropriate though. You're probably also burning a bridge if you ever wanted to work there again.

Basically I wouldn't do it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gollymolly

Bronze

Post by gollymolly » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:03 pm

Last edited by gollymolly on Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:41 pm

gollymolly wrote:Yeah, it's at will employment, you can accept and then reject the offer without legal consequences. However, the reputation problems + the Nalp guidelines + possible rules at your school make it a really bad idea.

And for what it's worth, I thought the Kirkland letter was a little weird. Especially the lack of salary information.
K&E doesn't have salary info either? Did you call and get a $ estimate, or did they say they hadn't decided yet? My offer letter from Fenwick didn't have any info either, and the people I talked to said they didn't have a final number, but were going to be "competitive." It had previously been my first choice (I'm really interested in high tech, I love SV, and the people seemed super cool), but no salary info is bugging me, esp. with all of the info on ATL...if they're going to pay below market, I might bolt, esp b/c it sounds like bonuses aren't good.

apologies for thread hijack. re op's Q, my guess is that it means "don't start getting terrible grades"; I doubt they'd kick you out if you used to get all As and now get mostly B+s. Completely unsubstantiated speculation, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”