Irell & Manella (LA) v. Latham (LA) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
redux

New

Irell & Manella (LA) v. Latham (LA)

Post by redux » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:21 am

-edit-
Last edited by redux on Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Irell & Manella (LA) v. Latham (LA)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:54 am

Usually if you liked one, you probably hated the other, so it's weird to see these as the firms you're deciding between. I will try to keep this neutral, though.

1) This i choice is really a "personality of the firm" issue more than anything, in my opinion. At either firm, the associates you meet as a summer will, in many cases, be gone before you even start working, so don't base your decision on individual people you met at interviews. Hell, some of them may have quit since you interviewed. But the culture is easy to identify and fairly stable.
2) The partnership prospects are essentially 0 anywhere you go, and since basically all associates will switch firms once or twice if they're trying to make partner, this shouldn't really be part of your consideration.
3) the "global reach" issue is not just about where you want to go, but how spread out the firm's resources are. With a smaller (but still big) firm, you'll know more of the partners and more about the work going on in the firm. With a bigger firm (Latham) you'll have more people in the same class year as you, so you will have a bigger built-in social net at work.

I've listed some other considerations below.

- Irell
* pays (substantially) more, generally beats the market
* theoretically lower hours threshold for bonus
* hasn't laid people off, and probably won't
* has all of its operations locally based, so all the top partners are within an hour of each other
* nerdy but fun culture
* nearly all lit, in mostly patent, securities, and (recently) white collar areas
* in West LA (Century City)

- Latham
* pays less
* broader range of practice areas firm-wide, though I can't speak it it's LA offices specifically
* theoretically an "LA" firm but is really a NYC firm with it's biggest office and most of its operations in NY
* mega-firm has more resources available to you, but then you get more bitchwork as a result
* corporate work is starting to come back, so perhaps Latham's layoff extravaganza will allow the firm to recover with the economy
* fratty culture
* in Downtown LA

redux

New

Post by redux » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:24 am

-edit-
Last edited by redux on Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:47 pm

FWIW, according to my schools career services, of the people who get offers at both Latham and Irell, about 85% choose Irell (and that was before this economy with Latham first years getting "Lathamed" --LinkRemoved--). I think the only logical way you can choose Latham is if you want corporate work and don't mind the risk that you could be Lathamed in your first 4 months of working there.

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:13 pm

I think Irell is pretty much a no-brainier- especially in light of Latham's recent firing practices.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:26 am

I agree with nealric.
FWIW, according to my schools career services, of the people who get offers at both...
How'd you get this data? How'd you find out it was available? I'm asking because I'm curious about whether my school's career services has data like that, and whether I'd have heard of it if they did.

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:30 am

Irell and it's not even close.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”