Legal Aid Internship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
deathviaboredom

Legal Aid Internship

Postby deathviaboredom » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:23 am

A
Last edited by deathviaboredom on Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Legal Aid Internship

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:40 am

I am currently employed by a legal aid society, and not to be a downer, but you are not likely to get an internship there. While it varies from region to region, as a whole the legal aid system is dying from lack of funds. They won't have time to train you or supervise you to do real work. Plus, they have an army of underemployed lawyers and law students working for them. Your best bet would be to stress that you are willing to help out in anyway they need. For example, my agency could really use someone making copies, and handling court filing. Not glamorous but needed.

I wish I had something more positive to tell you. Having supervised volunteers (both law students and undergrads), they are often more trouble then they are worth (no offense to you intended). Many attorneys have this opinion, and simply can't afford to take any time to oversee even free workers.

Your legal aid might be doing better than most. Stay positive in the cover letter, and show the dedication (which you clearly have) to serving underprivileged populations. Based on your experience, I assume you are bilingual. Highlight that.

Good luck, and sorry I don't have more positive things to say.

Return to “Legal Employment”