Legal job before law school Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cla

New

Legal job before law school

Post by cla » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:04 pm

Has anyone here worked in law in some capacity before law school?
What kind of job did you have, and how did you get it?

savesthedayajb

Silver

Re: Legal job before law school

Post by savesthedayajb » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:09 pm

I've been working as a legal assistant for the past year since I graduated from UG. I found the job through my university's career center. There are some great opportunities out there where firms hire recent grads who want to pursue a career in law. This allows them to receive some exposure to law and what their life might be once they graduate law school. It's been a great experience, I recommend it.

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:18 pm

I work in public interest law/legal aid organization. I applied and got the job.

Go to your career fair or apply online for paralegal positions.

Paralegal positions do not require a paralegal certificate/degree. If you are a top student then "prestigious" private law firms will take you on (kind of ironic how you will be doing menial work, as such a smart person). If you don't want to go private law firm, go work as a paralegal at a legal aid organization.

Take these jobs with a grain of salt. They are helpful for learning about what lawyers do, but are not that big of a bump for law school. Paralegals are a dime a dozen.

cla

New

Post by cla » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:43 pm

Thanks! This is really helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”