FBI cancelled their summer internship and honors hiring 2010

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

FBI cancelled their summer internship and honors hiring 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:25 pm

FBI canceled their summer internship and honors hiring for this upcoming fall. How does that even happen? Do people all of a sudden decide that the economy is bad and that they aren't going to do fucked up shit where the FBI can just take a break?

kurama20

Re: FBI cancelled their summer internship and honors hiring 2010

Postby kurama20 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FBI canceled their summer internship and honors hiring for this upcoming fall. How does that even happen? Do people all of a sudden decide that the economy is bad and that they aren't going to do fucked up shit where the FBI can just take a break?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If this is true then the economy is a lot worse than what a lot of us even realize........

articulably suspect

Postby articulably suspect » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FBI canceled their summer internship and honors hiring for this upcoming fall. How does that even happen? Do people all of a sudden decide that the economy is bad and that they aren't going to do fucked up shit where the FBI can just take a break?

Yes, that is what they're doing, taking a break. It has nothing to due with budgetary issues. A lot of govt agencies are not only implementing a hiring freeze, but are requiring their employees take time off too.

What is the deal with FBI hiring ls students? Is it pretty common for federal agents to have a JD? Is it easier to get hired on with a JD?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:45 pm

ejjones wrote:What is the deal with FBI hiring ls students? Is it pretty common for federal agents to have a JD? Is it easier to get hired on with a JD?

JD is one of the entry paths into the FBI Special Agent program.To become a SA you need either an Accounting background, a Computer Science/IT background, Critical foreign languages, a law degree, or a crap load of work experience.

But OP was not talking about the SA program, he was talking about student positions over the summer. It is weird that the unpaid volunteer internships have been terminated.

articulably suspect

Postby articulably suspect » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:16 pm

CyLaw wrote:
ejjones wrote:What is the deal with FBI hiring ls students? Is it pretty common for federal agents to have a JD? Is it easier to get hired on with a JD?

JD is one of the entry paths into the FBI Special Agent program.To become a SA you need either an Accounting background, a Computer Science/IT background, Critical foreign languages, a law degree, or a crap load of work experience.

But OP was not talking about the SA program, he was talking about student positions over the summer. It is weird that the unpaid volunteer internships have been terminated.

Yeah, a little weird for them to terminate unpaid positions. Do you have a link to the SA info? What's considered a critical language?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:43 pm

ejjones wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

Yeah, a little weird for them to terminate unpaid positions. Do you have a link to the SA info? What's considered a critical language?

http://www.fbijobs.gov/23.asp

The following is from the University of Arizona gvt handbook:
SUMMER VOLUNTEER INTERNSHIP PROGRAM

FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION

http://www.fbijobs.gov

Ms. Lynn Kirkland

Federal Bureau of Investigation

J. Edgar Hoover Building

935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW

Washington, DC 20535

Not Accepting Applications for 2010

NOTE: The FBI has cancelled its 2010 Honors Internship Program and will instead focus on hiring 400+ professional staff and an unknown number of Special Agent positions. This entry will remain posted in the Government Honors & Internship Handbook as best means of notifying interested students.

The FBI originally planned to accept 50 1Ls and 2Ls for its 10-week, unpaid summer Volunteer Internship Program, with placements in the DC Headquarters and 56 Field Offices. Now, the office has re-directed its efforts to entry-level hiring needs for professional staff and Special Agents. For the most up-to-date information, see the FBI’s website (http://www.fbijobs.gov).

09/08/09

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:50 pm

ejjones wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

For SA information http://www.fbijobs.gov/11.asp Check out Critical Skills for the language list and Qualification Requirements for the Entry programs.

Edit:
Current qualifying languages include Arabic, Chinese (all dialects), Farsi, Hebrew, Hindi, Japanese, Korean, Pashtu, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Urdu and Vietnamese

And by knowing a language they mean at least a 2 on the listening and reading portions of the DLPT (Defense Language Proficiency Test) and a 3 on the speaking portion. That is a serious speaking score, a 3 in speaking is not "Oh, I took 3 years of Arabic in college, so I am fine", it is more like "Go ahead and airdrop me into Libya and I'll make my own way to Damascus." A 2 in listening and reading is what is expected after 2 years at DLI doing nothing but language training for 50+ hours a week.

Oblomov

Postby Oblomov » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:07 pm

CyLaw wrote:And by knowning a language they mean at least a 2 on the listening and reading portions of the DLPT (Defense Language Profiency Test) and a 3 on the speaking portion. Just so you understand, a 3 in speaking is not "Oh, I took 3 years of Arabic in college, so I am fine", it is more like "Go ahead and airdrop me into Libya and I'll make my own way to Damascus." A 2 in listening and reading is what is expected after 2 years at DLI doing nothing but language training for 50+ hours a week.

Assuming this is the same test that State uses, this isn't really an accurate description. If you're studying a language for 50 hours a week for two years, you should be well beyond a 2 for listening and reading, assuming you're not deaf and blind. Though 3 for speaking could be about right. The descriptions are given here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ILR_scale

The increase it levels is more exponential than linear.

That said, people LOVE to exaggerate their foreign language skills. I laugh when I see "fluent" on a resume if the person didn't speak it growing up or live in the country for an extended period of time.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:20 pm

Oblomov wrote:
CyLaw wrote:And by knowning a language they mean at least a 2 on the listening and reading portions of the DLPT (Defense Language Profiency Test) and a 3 on the speaking portion. Just so you understand, a 3 in speaking is not "Oh, I took 3 years of Arabic in college, so I am fine", it is more like "Go ahead and airdrop me into Libya and I'll make my own way to Damascus." A 2 in listening and reading is what is expected after 2 years at DLI doing nothing but language training for 50+ hours a week.

Assuming this is the same test that State uses, this isn't really an accurate description. If you're studying a language for 50 hours a week for two years, you should be well beyond a 2 for listening and reading, assuming you're not deaf and blind. Though 3 for speaking could be about right. The descriptions are given here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ILR_scale

The increase it levels is more exponential than linear.

That said, people LOVE to exaggerate their foreign language skills. I laugh when I see "fluent" on a resume if the person didn't speak it growing up or live in the country for an extended period of time.

Sorry, I was misleading. 2 is the minimum expected at the end of DLI which is 63 weeks not two years. Most of us where just here for two years counting time before and after training. But yes, some do end with a 2+ or 3 in L and R. But It would be inaccurate to say you have to be deaf or blind to not have higher than a 2. Linguists are some of the brightest people in Military intelligence, and it is very hard to get a 3/3 in a Cat IV language after just the basic course.

Edit: And yes it is the same scale used by state. And as you said it is very much exponential and not linear. It takes no time to get from a 0+ rating (Heard Arabic before) to a 1+ rating (Can order a meal). It takes a little longer to get a 2 rating (Can understand almost all of BBC Arabic news). Even longer to get a 2+ (Can understand the opinion page of BBC Arabic). Some linguist go careers without hitting the 3 level (Can read Elf Leila wa Leila (1001 Arabian nights)). Having taken the DLPT multiple times while in the Air Force, I can tell you that that scoring almost never matches with the ILR scale.

articulably suspect

Postby articulably suspect » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:34 pm

CyLaw wrote:
ejjones wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

For SA information http://www.fbijobs.gov/11.asp Check out Critical Skills for the language list and Qualification Requirements for the Entry programs.

Edit:
Current qualifying languages include Arabic, Chinese (all dialects), Farsi, Hebrew, Hindi, Japanese, Korean, Pashtu, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Urdu and Vietnamese

And by knowing a language they mean at least a 2 on the listening and reading portions of the DLPT (Defense Language Proficiency Test) and a 3 on the speaking portion. That is a serious speaking score, a 3 in speaking is not "Oh, I took 3 years of Arabic in college, so I am fine", it is more like "Go ahead and airdrop me into Libya and I'll make my own way to Damascus." A 2 in listening and reading is what is expected after 2 years at DLI doing nothing but language training for 50+ hours a week.

Thanks, I take it this is a path you'd like to take once you get your JD. What language did you learn? What do you think about the immersion programs? I was considering putting ls off for a year and getting into a spanish immersion program. Any suggestions?

How much does the state give employees for fluency in a language?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:39 pm

ejjones wrote:Thanks, I take it this is a path you'd like to take once you get your JD. What language did you learn? What do you think about the immersion programs? I was considering putting ls off for a year and getting into a spanish immersion program. Any suggestions?

How much does the state give employees for fluency in a language?

Actually, No. Thought about it before, but really just want to practice law now, but I am keeping an open mind about it as my interest may change. I was a military linguist and that is why I know about this stuff [Arabic btw :)]. I personally think immersion is the best way to learn a language. Don't know much about any particular programs, but normally the hardest thing when traveling is trying to keep the conversation in your target language because the other person (the native) wants to work on their English and keeps switching to English!

Military gives what is known as FLPP pay for language proficiency and I know that civilian intel agencies do the same. Not sure about State or FBI. When I was in for the military it was $150 a month plus $50 for every plus level you were higher than 2/2 for listening and reading. I know the civilian agencies gave higher and I think the military may be more now.

articulably suspect

Postby articulably suspect » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:20 pm

Cool thanks.

amped

Postby amped » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:37 am

Dude, this happened weeks ago...where have you been?

As the FBI has said, I don't think is because of budgetary issues either. They are just using their efforts/money to hire fresh grads/laterals. They just want their lawyers now.

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:52 am

ejjones wrote:

Yes, that is what they're doing, taking a break. It has nothing to due with budgetary issues. A lot of govt agencies are not only implementing a hiring freeze, but are requiring their employees take time off too.

What is the deal with FBI hiring ls students? Is it pretty common for federal agents to have a JD? Is it easier to get hired on with a JD?

I wish my government agency would require me to take time off. Even unpaid, I'd gladly head out the door.

tarheel87

Postby tarheel87 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:47 pm

Out of curiosity, how does one even go about getting an FBI job?

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:52 pm

tarheel87 wrote:Out of curiosity, how does one even go about getting an FBI job?

You apply?

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:52 pm

LawandOrder wrote:I wish my government agency would require me to take time off. Even unpaid, I'd gladly head out the door.

wtf why did you change your avatar to that

bouakedojo

Postby bouakedojo » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:53 pm

Last edited by bouakedojo on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:56 pm

Lxw wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:I wish my government agency would require me to take time off. Even unpaid, I'd gladly head out the door.

wtf why did you change your avatar to that

I was slightly to moderately appalled.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:16 pm

bumping this to see if anyone knows the difference between the Volunteer summer program and Honors summer program.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:39 pm

CyLaw wrote:And by knowing a language they mean at least a 2 on the listening and reading portions of the DLPT (Defense Language Proficiency Test) and a 3 on the speaking portion. That is a serious speaking score, a 3 in speaking is not "Oh, I took 3 years of Arabic in college, so I am fine", it is more like "Go ahead and airdrop me into Libya and I'll make my own way to Damascus." A 2 in listening and reading is what is expected after 2 years at DLI doing nothing but language training for 50+ hours a week.

A 3 on the OPI is hard, even for native speakers. A slightly uneducated or educated but inarticulate native speaker in the language will get a 3/2+ on the OPI. Anything 3 and higher requires not only a VERY strong command of the language but also the ability to make persuasive arguments in the language.

3 years of arabic in college? Please. With that you're like, the God of languages if you get a 2. We're probably talking like, 1/1+ at that level. 8 years of French through middle school, high school and college and 3 weeks in Montreal will probably barely get me a 2 in the French OPI.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:47 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
CyLaw wrote:And by knowing a language they mean at least a 2 on the listening and reading portions of the DLPT (Defense Language Proficiency Test) and a 3 on the speaking portion. That is a serious speaking score, a 3 in speaking is not "Oh, I took 3 years of Arabic in college, so I am fine", it is more like "Go ahead and airdrop me into Libya and I'll make my own way to Damascus." A 2 in listening and reading is what is expected after 2 years at DLI doing nothing but language training for 50+ hours a week.

A 3 on the OPI is hard, even for native speakers. A slightly uneducated or educated but inarticulate native speaker in the language will get a 3/2+ on the OPI. Anything 3 and higher requires not only a VERY strong command of the language but also the ability to make persuasive arguments in the language.

3 years of arabic in college? Please. With that you're like, the God of languages if you get a 2. We're probably talking like, 1/1+ at that level. 8 years of French through middle school, high school and college and 3 weeks in Montreal will probably barely get me a 2 in the French OPI.

What is intermediate-high on this scale? I tested with the state department language testing and they said I tested Intermediate-high.

Also, do you know the difference between FBI Honors summer and Volunteer summer?

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:55 pm

I would have loved to apply for that last summer, had I known about it.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:07 pm

General Tso wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:

What is intermediate-high on this scale? I tested with the state department language testing and they said I tested Intermediate-high.

Also, do you know the difference between FBI Honors summer and Volunteer summer?

I have no idea.

I just know a thing or two about the OPI because my mom's an OPI specialist.

I'm guessing an interm-high is like a 2/2+.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:33 am

motiontodismiss wrote:

This is an old post, but I believe that is what I was trying to get at with my comment.

Return to “Legal Employment”