Is it customary to email a thank you after a call back?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Is it customary to send a thank you email to each associate/partner after a call back?

Yes
53%
No
23%
Send a thank you snail mail instead
25%

Total votes: 40

Tobias Funke

Is it customary to email a thank you after a call back?

Postby Tobias Funke » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:39 pm

I had a CB today with my top choice firm for next summer. Thankfully, everything went smoothly. I met with the recruiter, a couple associates, and a partner. I got all of their business cards with their contact info. Should I email each attorney to thank them individually for their time/consideration? Is it better to snail mail? Also, if email, how long after the interview should the thank you be sent? Thanks a lot. :)

thompson

Re: Is it customary to email a thank you after a call back?

Postby thompson » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:06 pm

Thank you letters might help 10% of the time, and be neutral the other 90%... IF IT'S A TYPO FREE LETTER. If you have a typo, it's gonna be a major negative.

Advice I've seen is you're better off not sending a thank you to everyone. If you had a particularly good interview with a partner, then maybe shoot them an email. Definitely do it within hours after your callback is over, as most will already have their form filled out and turned in by that evening.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:58 pm

Purely anecdotal, but my 6 offers came from firms I sent thank you cards to. 2 rejections I did not send thank you cards to. The rest I either did or didn't, but hadn't heard by the time I accepted my offer.

Tobias Funke

Postby Tobias Funke » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:03 pm

So I shouldn't email the other people I met with? That seems a little rude.. no?

As for the thank you cards - did you send personalized ones to each attorney or a generalized one to the firm?

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:05 pm

I used to do interviewing for a consulting firm - not exactly the same, but I think sufficiently similar to warrant comparison.

Definitely send a thank-you email. 75% of people do not care, but 25% do, and will think it is bad form not to thank the interviewer for their time and say you enjoyed talking to them. Most people send it the same afternoon or the next day.

Snail mail seems a little excessive. There's virtually no one I can think of who would like snail mail over email, and it might come off as a bit overeager/obsessive (probably not though).

Also, no need to ramble on and on. 2-3 sentences. Something standard is along these lines, you can personalize more depending on how much of a connection you felt you made:

Dear [Name],

I wanted to write to thank you for taking the time to interview me [yesterday/this morning]. I enjoyed discussing [personalized thing you talked about in the interview] with you, and appreciated the opportunity to learn more about [Firm X].

Have a good [week/weekend], and I look forward to hearing back soon.

[Your Name]

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:26 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:I used to do interviewing for a consulting firm - not exactly the same, but I think sufficiently similar to warrant comparison.

Definitely send a thank-you email. 75% of people do not care, but 25% do, and will think it is bad form not to thank the interviewer for their time and say you enjoyed talking to them. Most people send it the same afternoon or the next day.

Snail mail seems a little excessive. There's virtually no one I can think of who would like snail mail over email, and it might come off as a bit overeager/obsessive (probably not though).

Also, no need to ramble on and on. 2-3 sentences. Something standard is along these lines, you can personalize more depending on how much of a connection you felt you made:

Dear [Name],

I wanted to write to thank you for taking the time to interview me [yesterday/this morning]. I enjoyed discussing [personalized thing you talked about in the interview] with you, and appreciated the opportunity to learn more about [Firm X].

Have a good [week/weekend], and I look forward to hearing back soon.

[Your Name]

+1 and thank you for that simple form

Tobias Funke

Postby Tobias Funke » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:32 pm

thanks everyone! =)

Return to “Legal Employment”