1L summer employment

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L summer employment

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:19 pm

We have less than a month left until we get to talk to people about DA JOBZ. What's your game plan?

ziggysmarley

Re: 1L summer employment

Postby ziggysmarley » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:44 pm

First, why is this post anonymous? Second, why are you not funny?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:37 pm

Send firms resume. Pray to tiny infant baby Jesus for replies.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:04 pm

I've already been accepted to the summer partnership program at Wachtell.

adamlippes

Postby adamlippes » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:05 pm

I know you're probably being facetious, but I did know a 1L SA at Wachtell last summer.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:14 pm

Anyone can get a summer associate position there. I'm talking about the summer partnership program!

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:52 pm

Wachtell hires from state schools now?

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:22 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

srb

Postby srb » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:27 pm

Spent today working on my resume, plan to work on cover letters next weekend and try to get a list of about 10 firms to blanket in December. Basically, I don't think I have a chance in hell of getting a firm job next summer and refuse to spend valuable study hours after November on applying, so I'm trying to get everything done now. We'll see.

adamlippes

Postby adamlippes » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:40 am

Hmm... okay... if you're going to try for 10 firms, might as well try for an ass-ton more or none at all. I sent out 120 resume packages last year and got two bites. This ratio and this economy do not bode well for you in that regard.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:29 am

Preparing your resume really isn't that hard. It took me about an hour this morning to update my resume. It seems like people are spending too much time on this.

It really isn't that complicated people. :roll:

srb

Postby srb » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:45 am

CE2JD wrote:Preparing your resume really isn't that hard. It took me about an hour this morning to update my resume. It seems like people are spending too much time on this.

Congratulations. :roll: .

adamlippes

Postby adamlippes » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:51 am

CE2JD wrote:Preparing your resume really isn't that hard. It took me about an hour this morning to update my resume. It seems like people are spending too much time on this.

Totally agreed. What really pissed me off about 1L job search was the cover letter. But once you wrote a basic firm one, you were done, and once you also applied to those PI organizations with tailored cover letters, you were done. FWIW, my job search only took me one month (December). I can see how the job hunt would make 1L difficult, but that's only if you're really dumb.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:05 pm

The worst part for me was putting together the mailings. Addressing everything, stuffing envelopes, etc.

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:50 pm

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:The worst part for me was putting together the mailings. Addressing everything, stuffing envelopes, etc.

What is with the 0.5L insistence on mailing hard-copy versions of documents? I've seen this in other threads as well (not trying to call you out or anything, LWSB), and I don't understand when this became the conventional wisdom. There's even one thread on here where people are suggesting that your materials should be sent in an 8 1/2 x 11 inch envelope so as not to put creases in your resume.

For both my 1L and 2L job searches, I sent all my materials via email, which was quick, simple, and effective.

So, what's the rationale for sending hard-copy materials?

legends159

Postby legends159 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:16 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:
LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:The worst part for me was putting together the mailings. Addressing everything, stuffing envelopes, etc.

What is with the 0.5L insistence on mailing hard-copy versions of documents? I've seen this in other threads as well (not trying to call you out or anything, LWSB), and I don't understand when this became the conventional wisdom. There's even one thread on here where people are suggesting that your materials should be sent in an 8 1/2 x 11 inch envelope so as not to put creases in your resume.

For both my 1L and 2L job searches, I sent all my materials via email, which was quick, simple, and effective.

So, what's the rationale for sending hard-copy materials?

they hate trees and have a crush on the post office worker?

I think the investment of spending time working on resume/cover letter as opposed to studying for finals is not worth it this year. the probability of getting a 1L firm job is so low that I'd rather invest my time on finals and try to get the best grades possible and then worry about finding something to do over the summer.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:15 am

when one has nothing to place on their resume, updating it is a trivial exercise.

pany1985

Postby pany1985 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:19 am

TTT-LS wrote:
CE2JD wrote:Wachtell hires from state schools now?

Only U. Penn. St.-Philadelphia. JoePa has some SWeet connections with Mr. Lipton and tends to feed his favorite student each year.

I know you're kidding, but this still makes my brain hurt

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:20 am

wiseowl wrote:

when one has nothing to place on their resume, updating it is a trivial exercise.

Oh yeah, remind me how hard it is to cram all those meaningful rush sorority activities on your resume.

:roll:

Return to “Legal Employment”