just got offered a job, taking questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Colton

Re: just got offered a job, taking questions

Postby Colton » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:59 pm

someones alt wrote:What are the hours like? Did you intend on finding work in North Carolina or did the opportunity just present itself and you took it? I read in the JD underground thread you said you felt like you won the lottery, so can you shed some insight on the other kinds of jobs people are taking who were median at your school, or are they just jobless?

This is my question too.

john titor

Postby john titor » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:33 pm

someones alt wrote:What are the hours like? Did you intend on finding work in North Carolina or did the opportunity just present itself and you took it? I read in the JD underground thread you said you felt like you won the lottery, so can you shed some insight on the other kinds of jobs people are taking who were median at your school, or are they just jobless?

I looked for work in Georgia originally, but only got a few interviews. I worked at a firm part time in 2L and 3L, basically asked them to hire me, they said no. I am an nc native so I decided to move back home and study for the bar. I figured the only connections I had are here and I could stay with my family for the time being. So I got a job at the firm I worked for between college and LS. After I was sworn in, my boss offered me an associate job. The firm is small and the hours are generally 8:30-5:30, maybe staying late a few nights a week until 6:30 or 7:00. When a big trial is upcoming, obviously we will be preparing into the late night/early morning.

I'm not sure how the rest of my class is doing...a lot of people at the top got deferred, I know that a lot of people around the middle of the class on down are still looking for jobs. Not sure about how it is generally, but my impression is that a lot of folks are in some tight spots, what with loans entering repayment next month. I know several people have moved back in with their parents.

someones alt

Postby someones alt » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:36 am

john titor wrote:

I looked for work in Georgia originally, but only got a few interviews. I worked at a firm part time in 2L and 3L, basically asked them to hire me, they said no. I am an nc native so I decided to move back home and study for the bar. I figured the only connections I had are here and I could stay with my family for the time being. So I got a job at the firm I worked for between college and LS. After I was sworn in, my boss offered me an associate job. The firm is small and the hours are generally 8:30-5:30, maybe staying late a few nights a week until 6:30 or 7:00. When a big trial is upcoming, obviously we will be preparing into the late night/early morning.

I'm not sure how the rest of my class is doing...a lot of people at the top got deferred, I know that a lot of people around the middle of the class on down are still looking for jobs. Not sure about how it is generally, but my impression is that a lot of folks are in some tight spots, what with loans entering repayment next month. I know several people have moved back in with their parents.

Thanks. Sounds like you're better off than a lot, and the hours sound good. IDK how transparent this information may be, but how do things look in terms of promotions or raises? Do you feel like you have a significant opportunity to advance? I'm sure right now you're probably just happy to be able to practice law and pay off your loans, but I'm curious how things like this would work in a small firm.

john titor

Postby john titor » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:33 am

i really am not sure about advancement and raises - I get reviewed in six months and they've let me know that they are willing to keep me on for a year to see how it works out. I figure that I just need to make myself profitable and then I will be in a good position to ask for a raise at the end of the year. I am a brand new attorney so obviously I am still learning; we'll just have to see how I feel about things and how the firm feels about me around this time next year.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:40 am

Will you be enrolling in IBR or a similar repayment program? Why or why not?

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:47 am

Congrats man! I did some contract family law work, man those pople getting divorced can be mean to each other.

john titor

Postby john titor » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:06 pm

showNprove wrote:Will you be enrolling in IBR or a similar repayment program? Why or why not?

I'm not. Since I am living with relatives, I feel like I should take the next couple of years and try to make a dent in my loan balance. with IBR, my total debt would grow and I don't want that. If I take an ADA job or something sometime down the line, I definitely will enroll in IBR.

Return to “Legal Employment”