Having to take a week off during a 2L SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RVP11

Having to take a week off during a 2L SA

Postby RVP11 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:09 pm

How big of a negative is this in a firm's eyes?

I know I'm being a bit presumptuous in assuming I'll (a) have a 2L SA gig and (b) that it won't be one of those shortened 6 week programs. But if I have a legitimate reason (my own wedding/honeymoon), how accommodating are firms of an SA missing a week? Surefire way to keep yourself from getting a permanent offer?

CE2JD

Re: Having to take a week off during a 2L SA

Postby CE2JD » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:17 pm

Congrats on getting married!

Is your wedding going to be at the beginning, end, or in the middle of the summer associate "season?" I imagine the latter of the three would be much more annoying to firms than either of the former.

johnadams

Postby johnadams » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:40 pm

you don't "have" to take the week off if you're planning this early. simply plan at the beginning or end of summer if possible, and avoid the issue all together. being a year and a half out, that seems more than reasonable?

LawSchoolWannaBe

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:41 pm

Make it the week before 3L classes start. Prob won't have a 13-14 week SA gig anyways (at the very least 13-14 weeks won't be required...)

strawberrysmoothie

Postby strawberrysmoothie » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:26 am

A firm that won't let you take time off for your wedding as a SA deserves to be outted. That said, if you're already planning on taking like a 3 week honeymoon + wedding, that might be asking a bit much, ITE. did you already plan the 'moon or are we talking just a Fri off to get wed?

Gooner

Postby Gooner » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:41 am

Most summer programs aren't longer than 10 weeks. You get something like 14 weeks' worth of summer break at UVA, minus something called "May Week" if you're on LR.

Long story short, yes, you should be able to find time to get married over the summer by doing the wedding either before or after your program begins/ends; yes, you should plan the wedding around those dates; no, you shouldn't mention the wedding and/or the prospect of taking time off until you have an offer in hand.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:48 am

strawberrysmoothie wrote:A firm that won't let you take time off for your wedding as a SA deserves to be outted. That said, if you're already planning on taking like a 3 week honeymoon + wedding, that might be asking a bit much, ITE. did you already plan the 'moon or are we talking just a Fri off to get wed?

Considering some of these firms don't even give vacations to their actual employees, I'm not sure they're obligated to give them to summer associates. It's not like you don't have other times during the year you can get married and not run into this problem.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:43 am

A guy at my firm did that this summer, and it was fine, but I think the atmosphere at my firm (Covington) was MUCH more relaxed/normal this summer than the vast majority of firms. I think the above posters are right... if you can avoid it, do. Plan your wedding/honeymoon for August.

ziggysmarley

Postby ziggysmarley » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:38 pm

Get married at the beginning of the summer, then take your honeymoon at the end of the summer before classes start. It looks much better to start or leave early, rather than to take time off mid-way through the summer. BUT, keep it reasonable. It's one thing to do 10 weeks, when the firm is offering an 11 week program... but it's another to do 9 weeks when the firm is offering 12 weeks.

bahama

Postby bahama » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:48 pm

Why take a chance which could impact getting an offer?

Schedule the honeymoon around (entirely before or after) your SA job. You don't have to do the honeymoon right after the wedding either.

If I were a hiring partner I woud definately question the fit/commitment to big law of someone who made plans like this that obviously conflict with their SA commitment, especially in an environment when many 2Ls are struggling to find work. This is just the first of many work/life conflicts to come, so if this seems rough just wait...

Not trying to be harsh, just injecting some reality.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:11 pm

Looks like we'll have to do the wedding/honeymoon in August. Worst case scenario I miss the first week of 3L.

Bahama, I don't know if this necessarily qualifies as just one of many work/life conflicts to come. Where I come from, getting married, being at the births of your children, etc. are pretty important and not ordinary events you can equate with going on vacation or making it to all your kid's soccer games.

I guess I don't want to risk getting an offer out of school, but if any firm I work for, BigLaw or not, fires me for missing work for the most important family events, I'll be happy to part ways.

FWIW, I don't foresee that happening since I intend on working in a family-friendly, heavily LDS market, where I assume partners value having happy wives and kids to go home to.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:21 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:Looks like we'll have to do the wedding/honeymoon in August. Worst case scenario I miss the first week of 3L.

Bahama, I don't know if this necessarily qualifies as just one of many work/life conflicts to come. Where I come from, getting married, being at the births of your children, etc. are pretty important and not ordinary events you can equate with going on vacation or making it to all your kid's soccer games.

I guess I don't want to risk getting an offer out of school, but if any firm I work for, BigLaw or not, fires me for missing work for the most important family events, I'll be happy to part ways.

FWIW, I don't foresee that happening since I intend on working in a family-friendly, heavily LDS market, where I assume partners value having happy wives and kids to go home to.

having a child and getting married are not on the same level. births aren't things you can put off or change. weddings and honeymoons are.

on the other hand, no one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to get married in july and disappear for a week. i think you'd have a tough time finding a firm, judge, or any other employer who wouldn't be miffed after they pick you from dozens of bids and you decide to skip out for a non-trivial portion of the program.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:23 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:Looks like we'll have to do the wedding/honeymoon in August. Worst case scenario I miss the first week of 3L.

I like your style.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:25 pm

wiseowl wrote:

having a child and getting married are not on the same level. births aren't things you can put off or change. weddings and honeymoons are.

on the other hand, no one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to get married in july and disappear for a week. i think you'd have a tough time finding a firm, judge, or any other employer who wouldn't be miffed after they pick you from dozens of bids and you decide to skip out for a non-trivial portion of the program.

Normally this would be no problem. But fiancee works, as well, so there's more than one schedule to contend with. And you have to book weddings many months in advance, likely before I'll know which, if any, firm I'll be working for (and therefore my own schedule for that summer). If it's scheduled, for, say, the first week of June, that could conflict with the start of many summer programs, but might not conflict with some. It's not a gun to the head, but it's a much bigger planning headache than I've made apparent in this thread.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:27 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
wiseowl wrote:

Normally this would be no problem. But fiancee works, as well, so there's more than one schedule to contend with. And you have to book weddings many months in advance, likely before I'll know which, if any, firm I'll be working for (and therefore my own schedule for that summer). If it's scheduled, for, say, the first week of June, that could conflict with the start of many summer programs, but might not conflict with some. It's not a gun to the head, but it's a much bigger planning headache than I've made apparent in this thread.

if nothing else, you've got another question you can add to the interview conversation, i guess.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:35 pm

Of course weddings are important, but you're not talking about a permanent year-round job. You're talking about a very short stint. And you have a really good idea when it will be. It can be planned around. It's not unreasonable for a firm to expect you to keep that in mind when picking a wedding date. Keep in mind how important this is for your future. Even if it were only a minority of firms that would care if you took off for three weeks in the middle of the summer, would you really want to take that risk?

I've planned a wedding... I get it. I've also been a summer associate. Try to pick a wedding date that has a low chance of conflicting. Even if you picked the first weekend in August, you'd likely be fine. For example, my firm offered 14 weeks, but hardly anyone worked 14 whole weeks. And the program was officially done by the second weekend in August.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:03 pm

I guess that's the better question - what is the "typical" firm schedule? I assume 8-12 weeks, but is there really a large variance in start/end dates?

Unfortunately UVA starts rather early in August. Based on this thread, I'd probably rather miss the first week of 3L than any week of an SA.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:46 pm

Most of my friends worked from mid to late-May to the end of July.

With so many schools pushing their OCI early, law firms want to end summer programs earlier. So an early August wedding would be pretty safe. At most, you'd probably miss one week at the end of your summer program, which would not be that bad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:25 pm

Quick Question: The firm I am working for this summer has had quite a long summer program (12-14 weeks) and seems to be doing well financially (no layoffs, deferrals, gave bonuses, 100% offer rate etc.).

Do you think it would be a problem for me to leave early on Friday (around 3 p.m) and then take Saturday off for the wedding? The date we're thinking of would either be the last Friday of the summer program, or the 2nd to last Friday of the program. I really don't want to do anything to jeopardize an offer, and wasn't sure if this would have any effect on the firm's decision.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Quick Question: The firm I am working for this summer has had quite a long summer program (12-14 weeks) and seems to be doing well financially (no layoffs, deferrals, gave bonuses, 100% offer rate etc.).

Do you think it would be a problem for me to leave early on Friday (around 3 p.m) and then take Saturday off for the wedding? The date we're thinking of would either be the last Friday of the summer program, or the 2nd to last Friday of the program. I really don't want to do anything to jeopardize an offer, and wasn't sure if this would have any effect on the firm's decision.

Bring it up asap. I can't imagine "I need to leave two hours early to get married" resulting in punitive action.

thompson

Postby thompson » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Quick Question: The firm I am working for this summer has had quite a long summer program (12-14 weeks) and seems to be doing well financially (no layoffs, deferrals, gave bonuses, 100% offer rate etc.).

Covington?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:05 pm

thompson wrote:

Covington?

No. Does it matter?

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:28 pm

Kohinoor wrote:

Bring it up asap. I can't imagine "I need to leave two hours early to get married" resulting in punitive action.

lol

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:34 am

Reviving this thread.

Turns out August is not a possibility because of SO's job. Early May is also a bad time. Looks like the two dates right now are May 28 and June 4.

On the plus side, I'll only need to miss one week total. Does this change things much?

ziggysmarley

Postby ziggysmarley » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:04 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:Reviving this thread.

Turns out August is not a possibility because of SO's job. Early May is also a bad time. Looks like the two dates right now are May 28 and June 4.

On the plus side, I'll only need to miss one week total. Does this change things much?

I would advise you to just book the wedding for May 28. It's the best option, at least in a sea of bad options (like delaying the wedding for a year, scheduling the wedding a day after finals, etc). I get the idea of not wanting to hurt your chances re: getting an offer, but, at the same time, a job [that you don't even have yet] shouldn't dictate major life events. I feel like it's completely acceptable to take a week off or delay your state date if you have a good reason, as long as you tell the firm way in advance and do any work to catch up after the wedding.

Just schedule the wedding and stop worrying.
Last edited by ziggysmarley on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”