Most presigious / Name recognition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Most presigious / Name recognition

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:44 am

I'd like to work at a firm for several years and then re-evaluate what I want to do after that, whether that means going to a smaller firm, bigger firm, in-house, or even starting my own firm. I have offers from Kirkland, Mofo, and Covington and if all three being equal, would I get more of a bump in terms of prestige that would help me out in the future just based on a firm's name recognition? Which one of these firms you think?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Most presigious / Name recognition

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:26 am

What city are you looking in? Firms' prestige varies greatly across different parts of the country.

User avatar
NewHere
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:19 pm

Re: Most presigious / Name recognition

Postby NewHere » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:08 pm

Yes, what city?

Also, why is the first response ("What city are you looking in? Firms' prestige varies greatly across different parts of the country.") posted anonymously?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Most presigious / Name recognition

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:09 pm

OP here. All three firms are in California but I'm not sure if I'll be content with sticking around California my whole life. I'd want to perhaps use the firm's name and move to Texas or New York or stay in California and start my own firm.

The reason I'm so concerned with my decision is because I went to a T50 law school and during the recruiting season it was an uphill battle the entire way, because even though I feel I can compete with the best of the best, there is an automatic presumption that a guy who came out of a T14 is a better lawyer than me, and 90% of the time time the T14 guy got the job. Thus, in choosing firms, I wanna pick the top place where I'll have the most street credit.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Most presigious / Name recognition

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:43 pm

I'm kind of struggling with something similar now, but from the transfer perspective - it's stupid, but I don't know if I transferred to go a similar firm that i could have if I didn't... probably pretentious, but...

IN your situation, I'd be curious about what practice area you're interested in. If IP lit, then KE or MoFo. If general lit, then Covington > the others. If corp., then maybe KE/MoFo > Cov.

I hear Cov has a great alumni network that would be great if you want to exit out, but I don't know if that's more for the DC office than the CA one. If you're going to be in SF, MoFo has great recognition, but again, depends for which practice group. KE has a great national rep too, though maybe fewer alumni running around in CA than say, MoFo.

Hard choice. Are you leaning towards any one?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Most presigious / Name recognition

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:02 pm

I have no idea what I am going to do. I loved my call-backs with all three firms and I felt I would fit in well anywhere I went. I feel all I have to base my decision now is on prestige and going somewhere that will pay off the most.

strawberrysmoothie
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 10:29 pm

Re: Most presigious / Name recognition

Postby strawberrysmoothie » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:09 pm

are they all in the same geographic area?
Last edited by strawberrysmoothie on Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Most presigious / Name recognition

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:33 pm

NewHere wrote:Yes, what city?

Also, why is the first response ("What city are you looking in? Firms' prestige varies greatly across different parts of the country.") posted anonymously?


Relax. I am posting anonymously because I am making a similar decision to the OP, and it would be fairly easy to figure out who I am based on my previous posts.

In terms of the OP's situation, it seems to me that Kirkland and Covington are viewed about equally prestige-wise throughout most of the country, with both being more prestigious in general than MoFo. That being said, it is important to consider what practice area you are interested in going into because the prestige of the firm can vary greatly depending on practice area. Chambers and Partners is a great way to evaluate this.

It seems like Covington is the most stable of the 3 firms. I have heard a lot of rumors that Kirkland LA is having a really tough time right now, and Kirkland SF just laid off about 10% of the attorneys in the office. MoFo also seems to have struggled recently.

Good luck with your decision!

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Most presigious / Name recognition

Postby TTT-LS » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:31 pm

.
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Most presigious / Name recognition

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:50 pm

OP here. Why is Cov's rank on Amlaw so low? Should that concern me? It is top 10 on vault but somewhere near the top 50 on Amlaw. Mofo and KE on the other hand are relative with eachother on vault and amlaw. Anyone have thoughts?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Most presigious / Name recognition

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:59 pm

Kirkland's CA offices seem to be struggling right now which would turn me off. Their offer rate in CA was pretty dismal this past summer. I'll be at Kirkland (not CA office) for the summer so it's not something I have against Kirkland... maybe most firms in CA are having a tough time though.

I would make the decision based on the stability of the firm during this whole economy thing... If you like all of them equally and feel that you will fit in with any of them, why not pick the one that gives you the best chances at the end of summer. I'm not sure what MOFO and Cov have been doing re: deferrals, layoffs, salary freezes etc but those are the things I would look at as well as the strength of the practice areas you are interested in.

Good luck!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Most presigious / Name recognition

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Kirkland's CA offices seem to be struggling right now which would turn me off. Their offer rate in CA was pretty dismal this past summer. I'll be at Kirkland (not CA office) for the summer so it's not something I have against Kirkland... maybe most firms in CA are having a tough time though.

I would make the decision based on the stability of the firm during this whole economy thing... If you like all of them equally and feel that you will fit in with any of them, why not pick the one that gives you the best chances at the end of summer. I'm not sure what MOFO and Cov have been doing re: deferrals, layoffs, salary freezes etc but those are the things I would look at as well as the strength of the practice areas you are interested in.

Good luck!


Kirkland LA's offer rate was 17/18 this last summer.

strawberrysmoothie
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 10:29 pm

Re: Most presigious / Name recognition

Postby strawberrysmoothie » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Why is Cov's rank on Amlaw so low? Should that concern me? It is top 10 on vault but somewhere near the top 50 on Amlaw. Mofo and KE on the other hand are relative with eachother on vault and amlaw. Anyone have thoughts?


I thought Amlaw was only based on profits per partner/RPL or something, while Vault was more associate-focused.
I think if that were so, would make sense Cov is ranked so low - the firm as a whole makes less than some of the others that generate tons of revenue/volume from premium practice areas.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Most presigious / Name recognition

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:15 pm

There are rumors that the Kirkland CA offices might dump the restructuring practice and large parts of the corporate practice.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Most presigious / Name recognition

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Kirkland's CA offices seem to be struggling right now which would turn me off. Their offer rate in CA was pretty dismal this past summer. I'll be at Kirkland (not CA office) for the summer so it's not something I have against Kirkland... maybe most firms in CA are having a tough time though.

I would make the decision based on the stability of the firm during this whole economy thing... If you like all of them equally and feel that you will fit in with any of them, why not pick the one that gives you the best chances at the end of summer. I'm not sure what MOFO and Cov have been doing re: deferrals, layoffs, salary freezes etc but those are the things I would look at as well as the strength of the practice areas you are interested in.

Good luck!


Kirkland LA's offer rate was 17/18 this last summer.

You mean the summer of 2008. NALP is not updated for this last summer (2009). Based on ATL, Kirkland LA's offer rate was 60-65% and Palo Alto was 50%. --LinkRemoved--

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Most presigious / Name recognition

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:00 pm

Not-OP here... I'm considering mofo (sf/sv) this summer, does anyone know what their offer rate was? (NALP only has the 2008 data)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Most presigious / Name recognition

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not-OP here... I'm considering mofo (sf/sv) this summer, does anyone know what their offer rate was? (NALP only has the 2008 data)


OP here. Thanks for hi-jacking my thread.

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Most presigious / Name recognition

Postby TTT-LS » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:11 pm

.
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Most presigious / Name recognition

Postby TTT-LS » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:12 pm

.
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Most presigious / Name recognition

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not-OP here... I'm considering mofo (sf/sv) this summer, does anyone know what their offer rate was? (NALP only has the 2008 data)


Don't know SV but SF was supposedly at 98% (1 or 2 no offers).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Most presigious / Name recognition

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There are rumors that the Kirkland CA offices might dump the restructuring practice and large parts of the corporate practice.


Kirkland LA has already dumped their restructuring practice. The rest of the firm isn't doing too hot either - stay away.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Most presigious / Name recognition

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not-OP here... I'm considering mofo (sf/sv) this summer, does anyone know what their offer rate was? (NALP only has the 2008 data)


Don't know SV but SF was supposedly at 98% (1 or 2 no offers).

I've seen the same figure quoted before... I just wanted to confirm that was valid for 2009, as the NALP data for 2008 shows a roughly similar percentage (38/40, or 95%). It very likely is correct, and is certainly reassuring that they didn't pull a Paul Hastings or Morgan Lewis and no-offer a substantial portion of the class.

Here's to hoping that they just reduce the 2010 summer program down to the point where they still feel comfortable giving out a 98% offer rate :)




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.