MoFo (SF) v. Sheppard Mullin (SF) v. Allen Matkins (SF)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

MoFo (SF) v. Sheppard Mullin (SF) v. Allen Matkins (SF)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:13 pm

Anyone have thoughts on the various upsides and downsides of these firms? MoFo obviously is the gorilla of San Francisco, but Sheppard has a pretty good reputation. Allen Matkins I worry about, due to their reliance on their real estate practice which can't be doing well right now.

Anonymous User

Re: MoFo (SF) v. Sheppard Mullin (SF) v. Allen Matkins (SF)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:37 am

I found the people at Sheppard Mullin to not be quite as polished and impressive as the people at the other BigLaw SF firms I interviewed at, but they were all pretty nice. Sheppard Mullin definitely doesn't have close to the prestige of MoFo in the area, or throughout California for that matter. I am not v. familiar with Allen Matkins. I do think Sheppard Mullin would offer a better quality of living than MoFo in terms of hours, but I have a feeling that they may drop salaries soon because their SA offer letter says they will decide how much they will pay SAs in spring 2010.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:10 pm

I'm not OP, but MoFo's offer letter doesn't say anything about salaries and I'm worried they're going to drop soon, too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:31 pm

I think the salary thing is slightly worrying from MoFo, but at the same time you have to ask if the new market isn't going to eventually be $145k anyways. There might be holdouts, but I don't know if it's possible to predict.

On the other hand, I'm beginning to wonder if my decision to choose MoFo is going to be the right one or not. Some seem to be questioning the financial health of the firm, but I guess I just don't see how a firm that is in financial straits would be hiring for the summer. It seems the right thing to do would be to cancel summer program (ala Morgan Lewis), or seriously reducing the size of the summer class (like Skadden), which I think is what MoFo is likely doing.

Ah, law students -- we'll go to the grave before we give up our "options". Now I just have to hope that MoFo doesn't fail me ;)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not OP, but MoFo's offer letter doesn't say anything about salaries and I'm worried they're going to drop soon, too.

How many offer letters do mention salary? I've seen it in two of mine. The rest either don't mention or say TBD.

Return to “Legal Employment”