Kirkland & Ellis or Morrison & Foerster?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Poll ended at Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:02 pm

Kirkland & Ellis
22%
Morrison & Foerster
78%

Total votes: 9

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:02 pm

I have offers at both. I have heard Mofo is a more lifestyle firm and K&E is a sweatshop, but ATL's career center says otherwise when I look up the exact office locations. But generally, which one and why? My impressions at my call-backs were the same for both. I could easily see myself working for the people in the group I'd be assigned to.

Edit: I'm not going to list the specific offices because I don't wanna start a huge hoopla about how/when I got my offer.

Edit: Intellectual Property. Both California offices.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr.undroppable

Re: Kirkland & Ellis or Morrison & Foerster?

Postby mr.undroppable » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:07 pm

So without giving us any information about yourself, your target city (and that makes a huge difference, or your target practice (also makes a huge difference) you want us to tell you where to accept?

Kirkland. Why? Why not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:12 pm

Office matters... a lot. I remember MOFO doing a lot of canceling during OCI but who knows what that meant. As long as they aren't CA offices I would pick Kirkland.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:15 pm

IP and both offers were in California.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:25 pm

In that case I might go with MoFo... Kirkland isn't doing well in CA and their offer rate for current summer was pretty poor (in CA). MoFo deferred their first years until 2010 but I doubt deferrals will continue since most firms are adjusting their class size. Based on likelihood of getting an permanent offer I would pick MoFo.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:26 pm

both mofo and kirkland are highly-regarded for IP in CA. this is a tough choice. neither are really solid. if you're looking at socal, kirkland LA is shit so avoid like the plague. tougher call if offices are in SF.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:32 pm

Don't mean to hijack but why do you say Kirkland LA is sh*t?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:47 am

That's a tough one. KE does have reputation of sweatshop or super-intense place generally (even their on-campus interviews for SF office were super-intense, everyone at my school generally thought). On the other hand, I hear the same thing about MoFo too, although moreso for the corp. side than lit.

I'm not sure for IP lit, but general lit the hours are supposed to be better. I don't think the MoFo Palo Alto offer rates this year were good - would check in, but I could be thinking of another office. SF office was fine. THat said, there are the layoffs, deferrals, weird bonus structure, etc. Less familiar w/ KE layoffs since I personally am not considering that firm.

Does KE have min. billable hrs req? B/c MoFo does.

Return to “Legal Employment”