Layoffs today

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Layoffs today

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:55 pm

So they canned about 1/4 of my department today - I don't work in legal, but another field that was very strong previously. I don't 100% blame the economy for this - there had been in the past times when underperformers were laid off. But this time the cuts were deeper, and the reverberations where I work were amazing. When there were cuts in the past, people were like, What is wrong it that department, or would get angry at mgt - now it is just pure fear and shock. I guess the difference is the realization that if you lose your job now, you don't just go walk into another one. And that in the past it was assumed that you just correct things and that will fix the problem - now there's the sense that even if you fix things and run the perfectly, there may be more to come just because of the economy.

In any case, if law is your chosen profession, don't be phased by the layoffs - they are just as likely anywhere.

As a note: I don't think one can truly appreciate what it's like to get a notice that a certain number of people will be canned in the morning, and everyone getting to spend the night wondering if it's them, until you experience it. I think it's good for the financial planning perspective going forward - bad for the stomach in the short run.

let/them/eat/cake

Re: Layoffs today

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So they canned about 1/4 of my department today - I don't work in legal, but another field that was very strong previously. I don't 100% blame the economy for this - there had been in the past times when underperformers were laid off. But this time the cuts were deeper, and the reverberations where I work were amazing. When there were cuts in the past, people were like, What is wrong it that department, or would get angry at mgt - now it is just pure fear and shock. I guess the difference is the realization that if you lose your job now, you don't just go walk into another one. And that in the past it was assumed that you just correct things and that will fix the problem - now there's the sense that even if you fix things and run the perfectly, there may be more to come just because of the economy.

In any case, if law is your chosen profession, don't be phased by the layoffs - they are just as likely anywhere.

As a note: I don't think one can truly appreciate what it's like to get a notice that a certain number of people will be canned in the morning, and everyone getting to spend the night wondering if it's them, until you experience it. I think it's good for the financial planning perspective going forward - bad for the stomach in the short run.

In....

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:57 pm

decipherable.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:03 pm

OP, what you wrote makes about this much sense:

--ImageRemoved--

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:43 pm

Yeah, sorry - just an amazingly sh$#%Y day with a bunch of layoffs where a work after an e-mail last night saying a 1/4 would be cut, but not who. After a long 24 hours wanted to dump, but I imagine it can't be too coherent.

M51

Postby M51 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, sorry - just an amazingly sh$#%Y day with a bunch of layoffs where a work after an e-mail last night saying a 1/4 would be cut, but not who. After a long 24 hours wanted to dump, but I imagine it can't be too coherent.

I'm guessing we'll hear this on ATL tom? 1/4th of a department (I'm guessing corporate? Although, I've heard rumors that work is picking up there) is huge news, even if you're at a regional firm.

You weren't quite clear as to whether you were layoff-ed or just your colleagues. Either way, condolences, and best of luck in the future. Know what the severance is like?

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:25 am

M51 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, sorry - just an amazingly sh$#%Y day with a bunch of layoffs where a work after an e-mail last night saying a 1/4 would be cut, but not who. After a long 24 hours wanted to dump, but I imagine it can't be too coherent.

I'm guessing we'll hear this on ATL tom? 1/4th of a department (I'm guessing corporate? Although, I've heard rumors that work is picking up there) is huge news, even if you're at a regional firm.

You weren't quite clear as to whether you were layoff-ed or just your colleagues. Either way, condolences, and best of luck in the future. Know what the severance is like?

We won't.

Anonymous User wrote:So they canned about 1/4 of my department today - I don't work in legal, but another field that was very strong previously.

M51

Postby M51 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:29 am

Ah, sorry about not reading carefully. :(
Were you planning to apply to law school? (aka: why are you on this forum?) I don't mean to be rude, just curious.

Return to “Legal Employment”