Declining

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Declining

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:34 pm

Declined an offer today; the first I declined. I feel so much better. I really hope that opens up a slot for someone else.

edcrane

Re: Declining

Postby edcrane » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:50 pm

What did you say? I'm new at this declining thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:13 pm

lol, who needs help on how to craft a declination letter? what are they going to do, tell other firms your letter wasn't very good so they should rescind your offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:18 pm

I called them. I was thinking of emailing, and I think I might for others I was less close w/, but I wanted to call for this one b/c I was in close contact w/ the recruiter and asked lots of questions along the way.

Basically I just said I was really flattered for the offer, really liked the firm and everyone I met, but I decided to go in xyz direction because of abc. They were cool w/ with it. I was dreading making the call, but I'm really glad I did now b/c I just don't want to lead them on and I feel like a dick sitting on it if I'm not seriously considering it anymore.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:23 pm

which firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:31 pm

The consensus seems to be you call the person that called you with the offer? Barring any instructions in the letter. I'm not looking forward to this...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The consensus seems to be you call the person that called you with the offer? Barring any instructions in the letter. I'm not looking forward to this...

I called the person who gave me the offer. I was super nervous about it, but it went ok. I know people say they will forget about you the second you hang up, and that's probably true, but since I'm looking to work in the same legal market for the foreseeable future, I was nervous and I think it's probably in your best interest to be as cordial as possible... that said, I'm tempted for some of mine to just call the recruiter back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The consensus seems to be you call the person that called you with the offer? Barring any instructions in the letter. I'm not looking forward to this...

I called the person who gave me the offer. I was super nervous about it, but it went ok. I know people say they will forget about you the second you hang up, and that's probably true, but since I'm looking to work in the same legal market for the foreseeable future, I was nervous and I think it's probably in your best interest to be as cordial as possible... that said, I'm tempted for some of mine to just call the recruiter back.

I'm the person "not looking forward to it." I just feel awkward cause I have to call an alum from my smallish and not very well represented (in biglaw) law school to decline. If there was no personal connection I wouldn't feel bad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:19 pm

You don't need to call that particular person. An email is better to leave a record. Their primary concern is logistics/scheduling anyhow. Just make sure the recruiter knows.

Return to “Legal Employment”