Job Market --

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
USCRoger

Job Market --

Postby USCRoger » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:07 pm

I'm a senior at USC thinking about law school -- but from everything I've read the job market for lawyers is just as bad and one friend told me I might get more scholarships if I waited until fewer people were applying to law schools. Thoughts.

thompson

Re: Job Market --

Postby thompson » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:11 pm

"Bad" is possibly the understatement of the century. There's a glut of law students. My school admitted about 20% more students in this year's 1L class than last year's, mostly to get the tuition.

Simply put, there are too many know-nothing law students. There are too many laid-off, qualified lawyers. There are too few positions available because there are too few deals being made because there's no money left.

If at all possible, wait several years. The work experience will be good for your job prospects, and you'll be able to see how the legal market plays out. Things are bad right now, and the legal world is changing. I don't think anyone truly knows where it's heading.

But that's just IMHO ;)

D. H2Oman

Re: Job Market --

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:14 pm

USCRoger wrote:I'm a senior at USC thinking about law school -- but from everything I've read the job market for lawyers is just as bad and one friend told me I might get more scholarships if I waited until fewer people were applying to law schools. Thoughts.

Don't try to "time" the market.

Return to “Legal Employment”