Gibson Dunn, Jones Day, Covington

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Gibson Dunn, Jones Day, Covington

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:13 pm

All NY.

Interested in litigation. Which is best, taking into consideration work, compensation, partner-associate relations, QOL, lateral options, chances of not getting laid off?

Anonymous User

Re: Gibson Dunn, Jones Day, Covington

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:19 pm

covington. done. accept. be happy. worry about other stuff

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:46 pm

Why Covington over the others?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:07 pm

I second the covington answer.

Covington is more prestigious, my friends there aren't concerned with layoffs at all, they're all very happy, nice office and good people

Don't know anyone at GD NY. which also says something. most of my friends who did GD lit went to the DC office. I take that to mean the NY office is sort of secondary.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:31 pm

I agree with the Covington assessment. While there may be small differences in the types of work each of these firms does in NY, or even of the quality of the work/attorneys, the huge difference in job security is reason enough to select Covington. Add to that a more prestigious firm reputation and the kind of exit options one gets as a Covington attorney, and the choice seems even more clear.

Congrats on having three very solid options, one of which is more solid than the others. There are a huge number of other 2Ls who would love to be in your shoes right now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Don't know anyone at GD NY. which also says something. most of my friends who did GD lit went to the DC office. I take that to mean the NY office is sort of secondary.

Going along the same lines, I would think the Covington NY office is secondary to its DC office given that its a DC-based firm and based upon the striking size differences in the two offices. GD NY, on the other hand, is a bit larger than the DC office and is expanding.

I don't know the usefulness of this, but http://www.americanlawyer-digital.com/a ... /se09/#pg1 provides rankings of large law firms based on summer associates' and mid-level associates' responses to surveys. It also provides 2008 financial data about total revenues at the firms, profits-per-partner, revenues-per-lawyer, and more. Ultimately, you can't go wrong with your decision and congrats!

gwu2010

Postby gwu2010 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:19 pm

I would definitely not say covington if it is not in the DC office. They are a good firm, but Jones Day has not had any economic layoffs. Additionally they absorbed the dissolved firm Heller Ehrman last fall taking a lot of their litigation clients and matters.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:24 pm

gwu2010 wrote:Additionally they absorbed the dissolved firm Heller Ehrman last fall taking a lot of their litigation clients and matters.

Does this mean they absorbed liability for Heller's $9 million in potentially fraudulent loans as well?

Return to “Legal Employment”