Cold-Calling firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cold-Calling firms

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:36 pm

Hi guys, help me out with an inquiry. I didn't get any of the OCI interviews I bid for, but I didn't apply to many because I want to do family law and there wasn't a whole lot of desirable options. Anyway, my question is, what is the general consensus is for cold-calling firms for 2L summer-associate positions? Should I start ASAP or wait a little while? Is it recommended at all? My career resources center sucks and I don't see them helping me out a whole lot. I did an internship in the Family Courts last summer so I feel like even though I'm not in the top of my class (33%) I have some good stuff on my resume. If it helps at all, I'm in a big-market city at a T2.

Any comments of tips would be appreciated! Thanks.

Hitachi

Re: Cold-Calling firms

Postby Hitachi » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:49 pm

I think generally you'd do it by mail or e-mail. Regardless, start as soon as possible. A lot of firms will have finished recruiting already.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:56 pm

you should have started that process a looooong time ago when everyone else did. get on it asap

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:56 pm

Start now!, I wouldn't call. I would send letters to some (cover letter (tailored to each firm you really want), resume, & transcript) and maybe emails to others (attaching transcript and resume to email, with body of email as cover letter)
...good luck, I'll be in your shoes soon enough

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:19 pm

As others said: send letters.

And do go to Career Services, because based on your post (sorry) it does sound like you could learn a thing or two. The worst thing that can happen is that they give you advice that you knew already.

FrankReynolds

Postby FrankReynolds » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:03 am

I could be wrong on this, but I would be recruiting for family law is less likely to have summer associates and more likely to higher you after 3L.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:16 am

FrankReynolds wrote:I could be wrong on this, but I would be recruiting for family law is less likely to have summer associates and more likely to higher you after 3L.

Holy fucking shit... one person in here that knew the correct answer.. wow.

Opp.. pay zero attention to the know-nothing nit wits that came running to tell you how absurd you are for not having started your search yesterday.

Family law, FOR THE MOST PART (i know someone will post a link to the one 100 lawyer family law firm out there), is practiced in small firms, or is a small department within a medium sized firm. Firms of this ilk are unlikely to have traditional summer assoicate positions, nor are they likely to be participating in OCI.

If this is the area you want to work, market yourself as a good student (33% is good for a firm like this), that is willing to work full time over the summer and part time afterward when you go back to school (if that meets the firm's needs). Send E-mails, contact your family law court contact to see if they know of anyone looking for summer help. Be willing to start now and consider working part time. Also realize that a big SA salary is not going to happen. You will likely earn somewhere between 15 and 25 an hour.

Best of luck in finding something. This is a tough economy to look for a job in and family law firms have taken a hit in the economy too..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:00 am

Thanks reasonable man. Yeah, I knew that family law wasn't the same as big-law as far as how far in advance they look for associates, etc., but I appreciate the confirmation on that. Should I let them know in a cover letter that I would be willing to start during the school year? How should I approach that?

angiej

Postby angiej » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:25 am

reasonable_man wrote:
FrankReynolds wrote:I could be wrong on this, but I would be recruiting for family law is less likely to have summer associates and more likely to higher you after 3L.

Holy fucking shit... one person in here that knew the correct answer.. wow.

Opp.. pay zero attention to the know-nothing nit wits that came running to tell you how absurd you are for not having started your search yesterday.

Family law, FOR THE MOST PART (i know someone will post a link to the one 100 lawyer family law firm out there), is practiced in small firms, or is a small department within a medium sized firm. Firms of this ilk are unlikely to have traditional summer assoicate positions, nor are they likely to be participating in OCI.

If this is the area you want to work, market yourself as a good student (33% is good for a firm like this), that is willing to work full time over the summer and part time afterward when you go back to school (if that meets the firm's needs). Send E-mails, contact your family law court contact to see if they know of anyone looking for summer help. Be willing to start now and consider working part time. Also realize that a big SA salary is not going to happen. You will likely earn somewhere between 15 and 25 an hour.

Best of luck in finding something. This is a tough economy to look for a job in and family law firms have taken a hit in the economy too..

I tend to agree with reasonable_man. In the midwest area I am from, there are no large family law firms or even large firms that do any family law for that matter. Most of them are 4 to 5 person attorneys or sole practicioners willing to take on an assoc to help with his case load. It is also my impression that the smaller firms do not take on summer assocs, so don't feel that all is lost.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks reasonable man. Yeah, I knew that family law wasn't the same as big-law as far as how far in advance they look for associates, etc., but I appreciate the confirmation on that. Should I let them know in a cover letter that I would be willing to start during the school year? How should I approach that?

Make that cover letter your selling point..

My name is jon doe and im a 2L ranked in the top third of my class at XYZ-School of law. Last summer, I had the tremendous opportunity to work for xyz-Family court judge. I am presently seeking a part time position or summer position in your firm because of your bla bla bla experience, reputation, etc as top-shelf family law practicioners. I am excited to work in this field and will gladly take on that responsiblity as soon as possible... etc.

hayman

Postby hayman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:51 am

a cover letter and resume are fine ideas. but i would also follow up by phone too. be as proactive as you can. fwiw i do business development for an ad firm, and i find that phone calls are much more effective in getting someone's attn than email or mail.

angiej

Postby angiej » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:57 am

hayman wrote:a cover letter and resume are fine ideas. but i would also follow up by phone too. be as proactive as you can. fwiw i do business development for an ad firm, and i find that phone calls are much more effective in getting someone's attn than email or mail.

Paper is easy to throw in the trash, emails are easily deleted, but phone calls are harder to avoid. +1 on phone call idea.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:28 pm

angiej wrote:
hayman wrote:a cover letter and resume are fine ideas. but i would also follow up by phone too. be as proactive as you can. fwiw i do business development for an ad firm, and i find that phone calls are much more effective in getting someone's attn than email or mail.

Paper is easy to throw in the trash, emails are easily deleted, but phone calls are harder to avoid. +1 on phone call idea.

I would say you could follow up with a call, but don't make that your first contact. Send first then call a week or two later...

Also, most career services offices in law schools are absolutely useless. However, many smaller to mid-sized firms will post jobs with them for part-time help. Start watching the listings for firms that need part-time help.

Return to “Legal Employment”