Poll only for T14 Students: Do you have an offer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Do you have at least one offer?

Yes
55%
No, and I do not anticipate receiving one from any open callbacks.
30%
No, but I think there is a decent chance I will still receive an offer from one of my callback(s)
14%

Total votes: 105

FrankReynolds

Bronze

Poll only for T14 Students: Do you have an offer?

Post by FrankReynolds » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:37 pm

There was some criticism about the other thread since the ratio of no-offerees could have been related to people at low ranked schools. Please only fill out this poll if you attend a T14 school.

FrankReynolds

Bronze

Re: Poll only for T14 Students: Do you have an offer?

Post by FrankReynolds » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:09 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:26 pm

My bad.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Capercaillie

New

Post by Capercaillie » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at Cooley, does that count?
1,000 dicks in your religion

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:11 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hitachi

Bronze

Post by Hitachi » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:53 pm

Final Result: T14, well within top 5%, 21 screening, 3 callbacks (V5, V20, underranked V50), rejected everywhere.
Only myself to blame, really, though. I think I could have gotten an offer if I had done any of at least three things.
1) I had expressed an interest in litigation rather than wishy-washy transactional (just the bad judgment to go for corporate in this climate might be bad enough)
2) I had done law review
3) I had targeted the New York market.
Last edited by Hitachi on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:33 pm

Hitachi wrote:Final Result: T14, well within top 5%, 21 screening, 3 callbacks, rejected everywhere.
Only myself to blame, really, though. I think I could have gotten an offer if I had done any of at least three things.
1) I had expressed an interest in litigation rather than wishy-washy transactional (just the bad judgment to go for corporate in this climate might be bad enough)
2) I had done law review
Cornell?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:19 pm

Hitachi wrote:Final Result: T14, well within top 5%, 21 screening, 3 callbacks, rejected everywhere.
2) I had done law review
I know people with significantly lower stats, who didn't do any of those three things, and who are sitting on offers in major markets (i.e., not NYC, and not a secondary market).

Hitachi

Bronze

Post by Hitachi » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
2) I had done law review
I know people with significantly lower stats, who didn't do any of those three things, and who are sitting on offers in major markets (i.e., not NYC, and not a secondary market).
Just because those weren't necessary for others doesn't mean they wouldn't have been sufficient for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:05 pm

Hitachi wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
2) I had done law review
Just because those weren't necessary for others doesn't mean they wouldn't have been sufficient for me.
That's cute, I suppose. But your list isn't really exhaustive (and I am here anticipating your response, where you will say that it didn't purport to be). Maybe your interviewing skills weren't up to par? We could speculate, for sure, but unless you actually asked for some constructive criticism (which no one will ever give you), you have no way of knowing whether any of the above would have been sufficient either.

Hitachi

Bronze

Post by Hitachi » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:37 pm

Poor interviewing would be my fault too, though. This thread is supposed to be judging the impact of the economy on recruitment so, while my anecdote is relevant, I am merely qualifying my results to show that it is not the economy (at least solely) that is causing it. But good sleuthing there to detect that a list starting with "at least" isn't exhaustive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:48 pm

Again, very cute. Of course, there's also the other (equally probable) interpretation that the "at least" phrase was meant to indicate that the list was exhaustive, and that its components were each sufficient conditions. But... this is neither here nor there.

Also, your qualification of your results was just as useless as your quip. It does little to absolve the economy. If the economy had been better, for example, your interest in corporate law wouldn't have been seen as a negative, and you would have fulfilled a sufficient condition (as you call it) for your employment. In fact, not being on law review, expressing interest in corporate law, and not targeting a major market would have, in a prior economy, pretty much guaranteed a job (for a person with your credentials). In this instance, I think the economy is the sole cause of your quibbles.

Hitachi

Bronze

Post by Hitachi » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Again, very cute. Of course, there's also the other (equally probable) interpretation that the "at least" phrase was meant to indicate that the list was exhaustive, and that its components were each sufficient conditions.
Huh? No it really couldn't have meant that, at least in English. The "any" indicated that the components were sufficient conditions, and the "of at least" indicated that those three were the lower limit of possible sufficient conditions.

I agree of course that I would have gotten a job in another economy even with those "mistakes". My point was only that the severity of my bad result exaggerates the severity of the economy.
Last edited by Hitachi on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:08 pm

Hitachi wrote:Final Result: T14, well within top 5%, 21 screening, 3 callbacks (V5, V20, underranked V50), rejected everywhere.
2) I had done law review
Ouch. My results are perhaps more ridiculous, though there is still some slim hope:

-T14, well within top 5%, LR, want to do IP litigation + have a technical background, 19 screening, 14 callbacks, 0-10 on callbacks so far, with 4 pending...

Not sure what to make of it, as the comparatively favorable ratio of screening interviews to callbacks seems to suggest I am not a horrible interview. But I definitely wouldn't assume that litigation interest or LR would have helped...

hoopsguy6

Bronze

Post by hoopsguy6 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Hitachi wrote:Final Result: T14, well within top 5%, 21 screening, 3 callbacks (V5, V20, underranked V50), rejected everywhere.
2) I had done law review
Ouch. My results are perhaps more ridiculous, though there is still some slim hope:

-T14, well within top 5%, LR, want to do IP litigation + have a technical background, 19 screening, 14 callbacks, 0-10 on callbacks so far, with 4 pending...

Not sure what to make of it, as the comparatively favorable ratio of screening interviews to callbacks seems to suggest I am not a horrible interview. But I definitely wouldn't assume that litigation interest or LR would have helped...
Rejected from 10 callbacks? That is freaking brutal. My condolences.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:22 pm

2) I had done law review
I expressed zero interest in litigation but did ok. I think your choice of market may have been a bigger problem. I know dudes at CCN in the top 5% + LR who got shut out of DC/Chi.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
2) I had done law review

What kind of "technical" background do you have?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:15 pm

Things worked out pretty well for me:

CCN, probably around top 1/3, secondary journal, extensive prior public interest WE, expressed interest in relatively niche area of practice and desire for career in both private and public sectors. 17 screening interviews, 4 CBs, went to 2, accepted an offer from my top choice, a V20, in my specific area of interest.

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
2) I had done law review

jesusmaryandjoseph. that is brutal. what market?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
2) I had done law review

What'd you do on your callbacks? :shock:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:47 pm

CE2JD wrote:What kind of "technical" background do you have?
I don't want to outmyself, so I'll just say BS, engineering (not EE) & 5+ years WE

As for the other questions, market was CA, and on my callbacks I talked with some attorneys and maybe had a nice lunch. I really have no inkling as to the source of my lousy callback success.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:16 pm

Final Stats -

T14 + top 10% + secondary journal
Only market DC
31 screening interviews
15 callbacks
7 offers

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:02 pm

Final Results:

MVP + top 40-30%
No Journal
Not a URM

Target Market: NYC
Screening Interviews: 29
Callbacks Extended: 10
Callbacks Taken: 9
Offers Extended: 3
Callback Rejections: 5

Will be at a V10 this summer. Woo.

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:04 pm

Are there seriously 91 people on TLS in T14s?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:25 pm

Philo38 wrote:Are there seriously 91 people on TLS in T14s?
?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”