Splitting

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Splitting

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:51 pm

So far, I haven't seen any discussion of splitting the summer anywhere on here, though some people have multiple offers. Is that because it's being widely (and probably fairly) assumed that splitting will reduce your chances of getting an offer from any one firm? Or is it because even in a good economy, splitting would be very difficult because everyone demands that you're at that firm in your first X weeks?

What about those of you, if any, who have particularly long summers (there are some schools that end early May and begin late September, and some study abroad programs that have the same effect)? Do you just sit around for 2 months after your 8-10 week summer program ends? Not that sitting around's a bad thing :mrgreen:

Anonymous Loser

Re: Splitting

Postby Anonymous Loser » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:08 pm

Splitting doesn't seem to be that common outside of the South: in particular, the Gulf South.

In places where splitting is common practice - say, Houston, for example - I can't see how this would reduce your chances of getting an offer. Indeed, many Gulf South firms only have six-week summer programs, so it's assumed that you will work elsewhere for a portion of the summer.

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:21 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

helvidius2010

Postby helvidius2010 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:39 pm

Splitting is common and expected in Texas. In the days of 99% offer rates, you could usually talk firms in major markets to let you split between them and a Texas firm after you already had your summer offers. Today, I wouldn't try it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:41 pm

Is the calculus any different when you're talking about splitting at a V10 firm that has historically extended offers to 100% of the class?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:44 pm

texas firms aren't actually all the keen on splitting anymore. they all have 6-8 week programs, but almost all of the larger firms require first half. i think the smaller firms still allow second halves, and i know bracewell does.

all of the firms i've been offered at require first half, except bracewell, which almost flat-out told me they wanted me for second half.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:58 pm

Our career services office has strongly cautioned against splitting this summer (T-10).

I received one offer from a firm that explicitly said they do not want people to split.

ITE, I think anyone that does so, does so at his/her peril. I would love to, but am too scared too, ITE.

Return to “Legal Employment”