4.0 Michigan summer starter - chances of 1L employment?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
VincentChase

4.0 Michigan summer starter - chances of 1L employment?

Postby VincentChase » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:22 am

Obviously I can't say whether that will hold up or not, as there is always rough sledding ahead. But it's there for now, which I think is a good thing when November rolls around.

I was reading the thread on 1L summer employment, in which it was said that one probably needs major connections to land a 1L firm internship, and that working for a judge is the more practical option. Will my two A's help my cause, however, even without connections at places like Kirkland & Ellis and Winston & Strawn?

I'm not posting this to boast, though I'd be more than welcome to answer some questions via PM about study methods and such. I am honestly just trying to formulate a plan of attack for next summer. I was hoping that perhaps someone else who peruses this board might have had experience trying to earn summer employment with Michigan summer grades already on their resume. Even on the off chance I could land a firm position, would working for a judge or in public interest be more valuable regardless?

Thanks.

chipmunk

Re: 4.0 Michigan summer starter - chances of 1L employment?

Postby chipmunk » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:40 pm

VincentChase wrote:Will my two A's help my cause, however, even without connections at places like Kirkland & Ellis and Winston & Strawn?

Will they help your cause? Sure. Will they make it even remotely probable? No.

I had above a 4.0 after my first semester and was still rejected from mounds of firms. Go ahead and apply in December. Just don't bank on anything.

VincentChase

Postby VincentChase » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:43 pm

chipmunk wrote:
VincentChase wrote:Will my two A's help my cause, however, even without connections at places like Kirkland & Ellis and Winston & Strawn?

I had above a 4.0 after my first semester and was still rejected from mounds of firms. Go ahead and apply in December. Just don't bank on anything.

Cool, that's kind of what I figured. So the rule of thumb set out on another thread - if a judge offers you an internship, grab it immediately - still applies, I take it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:44 pm

Not exactly analagous, but I was out searching for 1L summer jobs two years ago with a 4.1 after first semester, from a peer school. The hard part was getting firms to actually look at my resume & transcript. Once they did, I ended up with several interview offers and a great biglaw summer job. But I still had tons and tons of dings, like the poster above. Obviously, a lot has changed since then as far as SA hiring goes. Nonetheless, if I were you I'd be ready to go with a mass mail on Dec. 1 with your transcript. Having a GPA at all will be an advantage I'm sure--all the moreso given how excellent yours is. You mentioned two Chicago firms, but that market seems to be really hurting right now, so if I were you, I'd start considering a summer in NYC, DC, or other markets (maybe secondary). Best of luck!

chipmunk

Postby chipmunk » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:52 pm

If I were you I'd take the above poster's advice and mass mail on Dec. 1st. I'd apply for judicial externships in late January and February (because of the on the spot acceptance expectation). Stagger it to give yourself the opportunity for a firm job (however small that opportunity may be in this economy). You may want to talk to career services in more detail about this in November -- I don't know what the Judicial interview schedules are like in other areas of the country.

VincentChase

Postby VincentChase » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:04 pm

Thank you for the thoughtful and, at the same time, honest answers. I guess the answer, no matter your GPA or credentials, is to flood the market with applications. I really appreciate the thought on staggering the packages between firms (early) and judges (late).

I'm sure this has been answered on other threads, but how many packages did you guys actually send out as a 1L? Dozens? Hundreds?

BradyToMoss

Postby BradyToMoss » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:20 pm

chipmunk wrote:

Same here. 3/3 on AmJurs first semester, above a 4.0, applied to lots of places, no luck anywhere. It's also likely that there will be far fewer 1L slots than last year. Every firm is cutting back on summer programs, and 1L positions are the easiest cut. That being said, you have as good a chance as pretty much anyone else, so give it a shot. Just make sure you don't put all your eggs in the BigLaw Basket.

FrankReynolds

Postby FrankReynolds » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:51 am

I have been advising all of the 1Ls at my school to not bother applying to firm jobs. I believe your time will be much better spent in Late-November, early-December studying for exams.

While in the past the risk-reward ratio of applying to firms during 1L was worth it, it almost certainly is not anymore. I do not know a single person at my CCN who obtained a 1L firm job because of their high grades.

gollymolly

Postby gollymolly » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:04 pm

Last edited by gollymolly on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blasebbg

Postby blasebbg » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:07 pm

I didn't know there were law school circle jerks like this on the internet.

I know some forums have 'Warning: Spoiler' tags or even a script or something that can conceal spoilers. Maybe some noble rogue could recode one to warn us of academic masturbation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:57 pm

i was in your exact spot last year (summer starter at mich with a 4.0). i sent out 200 apps to firms in december and got two interviews in my home market. they finally offered me in early february after seeing my fall grades (which were also a 4.0). i can't imagine it being easier this year.

Return to “Legal Employment”