Jones Day

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:34 pm

I had a callback with Jones Day (Dallas) about a month ago, and I haven't heard anything since then. I want to email or call them for an update, but I am too nervous to do so. Has anyone received an offer from them?

Anonymous User

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:46 pm

For some reason I thought this was a thread about one of those weird foreign holidays like Boxing Day.

Did you know that Spanish Santa Claus puts gifts in the shoes of children? Wacky non-Americans.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:46 pm

...s Nights and Weekends.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:14 am

I have received an offer from them, but not for the Dallas office. I heard in about a week, fwiw. Don't know if each office does things independently or what, though.

If you have other offers, you could probably call and ask for a status update. Even if you don't, you could always call and express your continued interest and ask for a status update. I don't think they would view this as annoying, if you spin it the right way. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:45 am

My callback with Jones Day was last Friday. That particular office (not Dallas) told me that, at the time, they were 2/3 of the way though their callback interviews and that they had not made any hiring decisions yet. They said that they were going to have their first meeting at the end of this week and that they were going to be making some hiring decisions then. Both the recruiting manager and the hiring partner told me that I could call or e-mail them any time for an honest answer about where I am on their list.

Seeing as it's "one firm worldwide" the attitude can't be that different for different offices, right?

EDIT: And yes... I'm starting to get very nervous today.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:My callback with Jones Day was last Friday. That particular office (not Dallas) told me that, at the time, they were 2/3 of the way though their callback interviews and that they had not made any hiring decisions yet. They said that they were going to have their first meeting at the end of this week and that they were going to be making some hiring decisions then. Both the recruiting manager and the hiring partner told me that I could call or e-mail them any time for an honest answer about where I am on their list.

Seeing as it's "one firm worldwide" the attitude can't be that different for different offices, right?

Wrong. I know people with offers from a couple of Jones Day offices.

Edit: I see you've edited your post. You can contact most firms to ask where they are in the process, though I really don't see what good that does unless you have other offers that have been lingering and you are trying to wrap up your decision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My callback with Jones Day was last Friday. That particular office (not Dallas) told me that, at the time, they were 2/3 of the way though their callback interviews and that they had not made any hiring decisions yet. They said that they were going to have their first meeting at the end of this week and that they were going to be making some hiring decisions then. Both the recruiting manager and the hiring partner told me that I could call or e-mail them any time for an honest answer about where I am on their list.

Wrong. I know people with offers from a couple of Jones Day offices.

I said the attitude can't be that different, not where they are in their hiring process. As in, they probably wouldn't mind if OP called. Also, it might be helpful for OP to know that SOME offices hadn't made offers yet (unless the hiring partner lied to me :roll: ).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:01 am

I see your point. It might be helpful for nerves, but I probably wouldn't call unless I had another offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I said the attitude can't be that different, not where they are in their hiring process. As in, they probably wouldn't mind if OP called. Also, it might be helpful for OP to know that SOME offices hadn't made offers yet (unless the hiring partner lied to me :roll: ).

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying.

Anonymous User wrote:I see your point. It might be helpful for nerves, but I probably wouldn't call unless I had another offer.

I think it might seem helpful for nerves, but I don't think it will actually help nerves. It's not like a firm will say "oh we're so glad you called us, we were about to call you." At best you are going to get a "we're still in process, hang tight." At worse you will get a "why, do you have offers elsewhere?" If you don't, you've moved from showing interest in their firm to seeming desperate. I totally get the urge to call, but I think in the end it will not give any useful information and risks putting you in a worse position.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:22 am

has anyone heard of jones day SF making offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:33 pm

Any of this talk been about Jones Day NY?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Seeing as it's "one firm worldwide" the attitude can't be that different for different offices, right?

Not really. I've worked at Jones Day and the one firm worldwide thing is only a little more than a catchphrase. Different JD offices have different hiring standards, policies, and timetables. I know of one prospective summer that wanted to split between two offices. One office loved him but the other didn't, so it was a no go and he ended up going somewhere else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:05 pm

I emailed their Houston office asking for an update, and I received no response. AWESOME.

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:42 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:50 pm

OP here...I sent emails to the two recruiters. Let's see if they reply.

Has anyone received rejections after JD callback? Was it an email or letter? How long from CB? Should we interpret this silence as a rejection?

transferguy

Postby transferguy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:00 pm

bwv812 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For some reason I thought this was a thread about one of those weird foreign holidays like Boxing Day.

Did you know that Spanish Santa Claus puts gifts in the shoes of children? Wacky non-Americans.
Anonymous User wrote:...s Nights and Weekends.
What is with these anonymous posts? Someone needs to be doing some outing/warning/banning.

I don't really see what's the problem with anon posts that aren't flames/trolls.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone heard of jones day SF making offers?

y.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:15 pm

I received an offer the day following my callback (not Dallas), and a classmate of mine who interviewed at a different office (not Dallas) had the same experience (offer the following day). I wonder if the process is tiered, or if it's just reflective of different office practices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:30 am

Guys (or Girls), if you're going to anonymous post, then provide the name of the office...
Especially for people with the offers, if they read your post, you still have an offer, and it doesn't help with a firm like Jones Day to say that I got an offer next day from the Not Dallas Office (cause, well, there are a lot of offices).

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:For some reason I thought this was a thread about one of those weird foreign holidays like Boxing Day.

It's not a Spanish Santa Claus. Its the Three Kings. The day of the Three kings is January 6th and thats who leaves the presents in the shoes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:10 am

Any word from JD Cleveland or Atlanta?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any word from JD Cleveland or Atlanta?

Anonymous User wrote:I received an offer the day following my callback (not Dallas), and a classmate of mine who interviewed at a different office (not Dallas) had the same experience (offer the following day). I wonder if the process is tiered, or if it's just reflective of different office practices.

I was the earlier poster, and the response was actually for each of those offices.

barrierreef

Postby barrierreef » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:34 pm

what about dc?

MAIBDeeDee

Postby MAIBDeeDee » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:04 pm

I had an interview with Jones Day New York this Tuesday and was wondering if anyone has received offers from this office. If so, how long did it take until you heard?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:25 pm

MAIBDeeDee wrote:I had an interview with Jones Day New York this Tuesday and was wondering if anyone has received offers from this office. If so, how long did it take until you heard?

Same office. Interviewed last week. Heard the same day.

Return to “Legal Employment”