Callback/Offer Percentages

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Callback/Offer Percentages

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've heard from a couple people at firms around me that the callback to SA spots has been around 10:1. This does not necessarily mean that only 10% of callbacks will receive offers, as it's possible some will turn down the offer. Individual firm practices will obviously vary though. It is a very difficult year.

I find this very hard to believe. A firm that is going to get 10 SA is going to bring back 100 to interview? That seems like a huge waste of resources to me.

I just spoke with a firm that is only taking 3-4 this year. They granted 29 initial screening interviews and called back 10 or 11. My guess would be that it's somewhere in between that and the 10:1 number. Maybe 4:1 with 35% or so getting offers, if I had to guess.

I've had five CB's so far, 2 with V10, 2 with V25, and and 1 for V50. The 10:1 ration sounds right in a big market. It's not a huge waste of resources if for instance for a firm in Los Angeles is calling back a few from UCLA, a few from USC, a few from each of the other SoCal schools. All they really end up paying for is lunch and mileage.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've heard from a couple people at firms around me that the callback to SA spots has been around 10:1. This does not necessarily mean that only 10% of callbacks will receive offers, as it's possible some will turn down the offer. Individual firm practices will obviously vary though. It is a very difficult year.

I find this very hard to believe. A firm that is going to get 10 SA is going to bring back 100 to interview? That seems like a huge waste of resources to me.

I just spoke with a firm that is only taking 3-4 this year. They granted 29 initial screening interviews and called back 10 or 11. My guess would be that it's somewhere in between that and the 10:1 number. Maybe 4:1 with 35% or so getting offers, if I had to guess.

I've had five CB's so far, 2 with V10, 2 with V25, and and 1 for V50. The 10:1 ration sounds right in a big market. It's not a huge waste of resources if for instance for a firm in Los Angeles is calling back a few from UCLA, a few from USC, a few from each of the other SoCal schools. All they really end up paying for is lunch and mileage.

And the amount of billable hours they're wasting. But, yes, the bigger markets may have higher ratios, but the interviewees there are probably more likely to reject an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I am the 10:1 poster whom you quoted. This was in a major market and I know for a fact my information is solid. One of my sources is an associate on the hiring committee who told me the exact number of CBs and slots. She said it was on par with what some other firms in this major market were doing. Of course, this doesn't mean all firms are following suit, but it is not as unbelievable as you might like to think.

As I said before though, this does not mean that only 1/10 will end up getting offers when all is said and done, because some will likely decline the offer.

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:22 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”