County Court Judge

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
angiej

County Court Judge

Postby angiej » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:13 am

For some reason, I've always thought it would be wonderful to be a county judge. Is there a particular track that most judges take? Like usually judges are first prosecutors, and then become a candidate for judge?

brose002

Re: County Court Judge

Postby brose002 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:22 am

From what I have heard, the best path is to be a DA

lucydog

Postby lucydog » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:53 am

I think it will depend on whether judges are elected or not in your county. If they are elected then some kind of public service/government position would probably be ideal.

angiej

Postby angiej » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:30 pm

I live in a state where all but two counties elect judges. Why would it be different if the county appoints its judges or elects them?

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:33 pm

Where they are appointed it is much more of a networking game from my understanding. Cynics say that the only way to really win a judicial election is to have a name near the top of the list, because so few voters actually know or care about who becomes a judge. That being said, many former prosecutors become judges from the tough on crime angle.

angiej

Postby angiej » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:51 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Where they are appointed it is much more of a networking game from my understanding. Cynics say that the only way to really win a judicial election is to have a name near the top of the list, because so few voters actually know or care about who becomes a judge. That being said, many former prosecutors become judges from the tough on crime angle.

Ah, this makes sense to me.

Return to “Legal Employment”