Fired from short term job with legit company... T_T

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Fired from short term job with legit company... T_T

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:24 am

Basically after UG but before I attended law school, I worked for a few months (2?) for a company that distributes media, I was just working as a computer/distribution rep. Anyways, they fired me after the 2 months, literally said "it not working out, we are going to have to let you go" (i guess im horrible at life) but there wasnt like a defining thing I messed up, and when I asked him he wouldnt elaborate but said there wasnt a specific instance of my conduct that led to my dismissal.

What do I say about this? How do I spin this?

bluejayk

Re: Fired from short term job with legit company... T_T

Postby bluejayk » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Basically after UG but before I attended law school, I worked for a few months (2?) for a company that distributes media, I was just working as a computer/distribution rep. Anyways, they fired me after the 2 months, literally said "it not working out, we are going to have to let you go" (i guess im horrible at life) but there wasnt like a defining thing I messed up, and when I asked him he wouldnt elaborate but said there wasnt a specific instance of my conduct that led to my dismissal.

What do I say about this? How do I spin this?

Why would you mention it? Is there a question that asked if you've ever been fired?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:44 am

that, and the most recent work history, e.g. "why did you leave this job?" etc.

I am just worried this stupid little job may haunt me...

bluejayk

Postby bluejayk » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:that, and the most recent work history, e.g. "why did you leave this job?" etc.

I am just worried this stupid little job may haunt me...

Was it within the probationary period (if your company had one)? If they didn't give you cause, and they literally said "it's not working out", I think they've left you free to interpret it anyway you want. Not saying you should lie, but could you plausibly characterize it as anything other than being fired?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:07 am

IT WAS INDEED DURING A PROBATIONARY PERIOD! Does this help me? >_> (this did not occur during the yes/no phase of probationary period, I dont think I hit the end of it yet)

im so tempted to have a friend call on the pretense of hiring me as a legal assistant or something and seeing what HR says

bluejayk

Postby bluejayk » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:14 am

I don't know, but I would look into it. I got a job once and HR said that they considered the first 3 months to be probationary, and that at the end of that time period, they would consider offering me the job if I was a proper fit with the organization, and that if I wasn't, they wouldn't consider me to be fired, just not offered a permanent position. I don't know how common this is, but it'd be a lot better sounding to say you weren't offered a permanent position.

Return to “Legal Employment”