Is Anyone Going to the NW Minority Job Fair on Sept. 26?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ohgoodness

Is Anyone Going to the NW Minority Job Fair on Sept. 26?

Postby ohgoodness » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:19 pm

Hello!

I'm new to this site but it looks like an excellent resource. Is anyone attending this minority career fair in Seattle?

What's your take on minority fairs, do interviews actually materialize into callbacks? I only ask because I'm wondering if it is worth the trek from California to Seattle for this event.

A little about myself:

-I'm not a typical minority (I'm just a minority in the sense that my kind is not well represented in the legal field.)

-I go to a first tier law school, have mediocre grades, I'm a member on Law Review, and have a moot court award

-I'd like to work in Seattle

ohgoodness

Re: Is Anyone Going to the NW Minority Job Fair on Sept. 26?

Postby ohgoodness » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:35 pm

Anyone?

Should I take this as a sign that the fair is a sham?

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:56 pm

Lack of interest here isn't necessarily a sign this is a sham, just an indication that there really aren't that many posters who likely qualify.

Demographics of Washington

By race--------------White--Black--AIAN*--Asian--NHPI*
2000 (total population) 88.64% 4.12% 2.73% 6.75% 0.74%

2005 (total population) 87.65% 4.45% 2.65% 7.69% 0.78%

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:35 pm

**Keeping it anon to maintain some identity-protection during cb season. Please don't change back mods - thanks.**

I went to a diversity fair earlier this year. It was prescreened, so I felt like it was, in some ways, a better use of my time than the lottery OCI system at my school. I got several cbs from the diversity fair, one of which ended in an offer and I am seriously thinking of accepting.

I don't know what it will be like at THIS particular fair though. I've never heard of it, and it is very late in the season, so I can't imagine many firms have cb spots left anyway. Call the organizers and ask for some stats before you put down money for a flight, is my suggestion.

shadowfish

Postby shadowfish » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:42 pm

It's not late in the season for Seattle - they move slow, and I believe this is because the main feeder school, UW, didn't have OCI until 2 weeks ago/last week.

That said, "I'd like to work in Seattle" is probably not going to cut it in Seattle this year. The people who are in Seattle because they'd like to work there are Order of the Coif/cum laude T14 types. There are certainly other types of people, and you might see some mediocre people from mediocre schools, but they'll all be from the NW. All my interviewers were aware of how clannish it is out here. If you have a really solid tie to Seattle, you could get a firm job with meh grades from a pretty good school (though maybe not ITE - I worked with some really qualified 2Ls in unpaid PI work in Seattle last summer).

If you're talking about PI work though, you've got a much better chance. Also, I'm sure LR and moot court will look good, and I can't say how that will balance out grades. I'm a cynic about the market here, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but unless you're amazingly qualified, a desire to work in Seattle without a stronger tie will almost never get you a job as an SA. Consider lateraling, though. It seems a lot easier.

ohgoodness

Postby ohgoodness » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:44 am

Thanks shadowfish for the informative advice! Do you go to a law school in Seattle/Washington? I had really wanted to apply to University of Washington School of Law but after learning how many out-of-state students they take, I became super discouraged :(

I agree with you about needing a stronger tie to Seattle...unfortunately I don't have one :(

I found really cheap tickets to Seattle though, so I think I'll go just to get some exposure...and who knows maybe I can contact my interviewers later on in my career path...

shadowfish

Postby shadowfish » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:22 pm

I went to undergrad at UW and I'm a native of Bellevue. I chose not to go to UW Law, but it was a tough decision. I'm a total homebody. UW is super picky for out of staters. I know people who are at T14s who got rejected from UW.

It could definitely be good to go check it out. It doesn't sound like you're an URM, but the Seattle market is big on diversity. There were no 1L positions in any sizable firms last year because they were all eaten up by 1L diversity programs. So if you are actually diverse, you definitely stand a better chance of getting a job than most people. There might also be some advantages to going and meeting people at different firms and getting an idea of the practices there. If you don't get a job from this fair and want to lateral in to Seattle down the road, you can at least have some good information about a few firms.

Return to “Legal Employment”